A Father and Grandfather becomes a Father!

by Steve Ray on December 14, 2007

SpencerSm.jpgToday Janet and I had the priviledge and honor of watching our friend Bill Spencer ordained as a Catholic priest. He is a father and a grandfather — his son and daughters and grandchildren were there to celebrate this event with their dad and grandfather. After Bill's faithful wife Peg died of cancer, Bill decided to spend the remainder of his days serving our Lord as a priest in the Catholic Church.

Bill approached his bishop who turned him down because Bill was over 70 years old. He then approached Bishop Carlson of Saginaw Michigan who said, "Impossible!" BUT, the next day Bishop Carlson was praying and the Lord said, "Why should I send you men if you don't accept the men I send?"

The rest is history. Enjoy this short video. Pray for vocations! God bless you Fr. Bill!

For the rest of my blog, click here. For my main website, click here.

Kristyn Hall December 15, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Thank you so much for posting this… we so wanted to be there and it just didn’t work out. Dcn. (I mean, Fr.) Bill is a wonderful man. God bless!

eddie December 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Was having a quiet uneventful day and then came upon this delightful video. How refreshing and wonderful to see and hear Father & Grandfather Bill become a Catholic priest. eddie

Larry S December 18, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Being in the Diocese of Saginaw, he is more than welcome. I have never understood why age should be a factor in whether or not someone can be a priest. Isn’t it a calling from God? I don’t think God would care at what point in ones life they answered the call – as long as they did (and of course were competent to do so). Welcome – Fr. Bill!!

Norman Pedrotte December 18, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Enjoyed your video, very nice.
this web site will take you to 3 slide shows that i put together for Father Bill.
i am from Harbor Beach,Mi and father Bill Is my Priest at O.L.L.H.

Norman Pedrotte December 19, 2007 at 8:24 PM

P.S. I FORGOT TO ADD ONE THING ABOUT MY WEB SITE WHERE YOU WILL FIND 3 SLIDE SHOWS OF FATHER WILLIAM W. SPENCER.
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/Ws9Ze6Zj LOOK TO THE LEFT SIDE OF PAGE WHEN IT OPEN’S FOR (FRIENDS 4) CLICK ON THAT AND THEY WILL ALL OPEN FOR YOU.
NORM

Thomas J. Higgins December 20, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Father Bill -

You probably don’t remember me, but I was also a member of the 1950
Class at LaSalle.
I know the last few years must have been tough, but the joy and peace
you now feel must be a great reward.
Good luck.

Tom Higgins ’50

Carolyn Benjey December 30, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Congratulations! I know God will do wonderful things through you!

Anne Martin January 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Thank you for producing this video. Ralph and I were planning to go to the ordination but due to circumstances, weren’t able to. What a blessing to be able to share this very special occassion in this way! May the Lord bless Fr. Bill as he serves Him!

ann maloney July 22, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Is there any information re communities for older women, 65 years old?

STEVE RAY HERE: YES! ROSALIND MOSS IS STARTING A NEW ORDER CALLED “DAUGHTERS OF MARY, MOTHER OF ISRAEL’S HOPE.” HER ORDER IN ST. LOUIS. SHE IS TAKING WOMEN OF ANY AGE.