What did you find in the drawer?

by Steve Ray on March 5, 2008

GideonBible.jpgMecca.jpg

On the left is what you find if you open a drawer in a hotel in America or Europe. To the right is what you see if you open a drawer in the Middle East or Europe.

What is the difference? To the left you find a Gideon Bible; to the right you find an arrow to inform you which way to kneel for prayers to Mecca.

Hum? How long will it be before you find an arrow in every drawer in the USA too?

Jeff March 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Yes and it was only a short time ago I recall reading on someone’s blog of major US and European hotel-chains that had removed the Bible all together in lieu of a “courtesy pack” of condoms….another sign there is still not enough serious prayer going on!!

billyjean March 5, 2008 at 3:04 PM

That's funny, but who cares? It's not your drawer.

STEVE RAY HERE: Ultimately it is all of our "drawers" since we live here and we have the eyes to see where we are headed in Western culture.

Mike March 5, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Like Jeff, I remembered an article about “intimacy kits” replacing Gideon Bibles because “society evolves”. Just google “so long gideons newsweek” for the Newsweek article.

Jimmy March 6, 2008 at 1:05 AM

I am a Christian and believe in freedom of expression. However, I do not see how eliminating any religious symbols or actions from everything in America is helpful to society at large. I can understand not forcing children to pray in school, but now I hear there is a petition to ban religious broadcasts on the tv and radio! Why can’t people just turn the channel when they can say, “Who cares, it’s not your drawer?” I have no problem putting in an arrow to point to Mecca, or promoting safe sex, but why does it always have to come at the loss of expression for Christians? I agree, this is not an issue of hotel drawers, but society at large. What is to stop people from boycotting American money because it says “In God We Trust” just because it offends someone who is a member of the Church of Satan? The bills and coins do not say you have to be a Christian to live here, but rather pay respect to our history and to our founders who built this country on freedom and beliefs in the general good of society. I think people need to realize that their attitude to not hurt anyone by religious discrimination is only causing more problems in general. And I agree with Jeff, please pray more for our society.

Nick Childers March 6, 2008 at 2:14 AM

I don’t mind if I find an arrow or a Koran or a Torah scroll in the same drawer with the Bible. So long as no one’s religion is being reviled or persecuted. We must respect people’s religious beliefs, even if they are different from our own.

It is one thing for an arrow pointing to Mecca to be in a drawer in a hotle, and quite another in a pew in a church.

Athos March 6, 2008 at 7:01 AM

Amen, Steve.

BTW, your “conversion tape” was a major apologetic boon for me as I converted from Methodistm (ordained pastor 20 yrs) to Mother Church lo these 7 years ago. Cheers

Robert March 6, 2008 at 10:19 AM

There is a difference in the bible and the arrow. The Bible can be for believers who didn’t bring a Bible with them while traveling. I think often it is also intended for non-believers, that the Bible present in the hotel room may lead to a conversion of some sort.

But the arrow giving the direction toward Mecca, that’s for a believing practicing Muslim. It’s probably not about converting someone. It’s about someone traveling, who WILL be praying, who WILL want to know where he should face.

I would not want the arrow or the Quran to replace the Bible, and I certainly don’t want the condoms to be there at all. But I have no problem with the Bible and the Quran being there.

Barbara March 6, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I once pushed the Gideon Bible all the way to the back of the drawer, and put a copy of a Catholic Bible in the front..

Barbara Reiter February 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Our Catholic hospital is handing out Gideon Bibles to the patients and is allowing them to be passed out to everyone who enters the cafeteria. When questioned about the prudence of this, it was stated, “A bible is the word of God and we feel comfortable passing them out.” What is your opinion?

STEVE RAY HERE: I APPROVE AND APPLAUD THE HOSPITAL. I WOULD ALSO INCLUDE AN INVITATION TO MASS WITH THE TIME SCHEDULE. BUT, GIVING THE BIBLE TO PATIENTS IS A GREAT THING!