My Wife Janet was Baptized by Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel

by Steve Ray on April 13, 2008

Calvary Chapel, I have heard, boasts that over 70% of their members are ex-Catholics. My wife Janet was baptized by the founder Pastor Chuck Smith in Pirate's Cove in the Pacific Ocean. Janet is the first Catholic in her family in over 400 years.

Here is an interesting article about Chuck Smith and Calvary Chapel. Click here.

Jeb Protestant April 13, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Doesn't seem that the problems at Calvary Chapel are as bad as that in the Catholic church.

STEVE RAY HERE: Do your homework my friend — and view previous blogs I have posted. Check out also the recent blog I wrote about Patty Bonds!

The problems in Protestant "churches" are far worse than in the Catholic Church. What we have listed here for Calvary Chapel is only a sampling. I know of many situations very close to home where sexual abuse took place in Protestant groups, and in these cases, Baptist "churches." They don't get the press the Catholic Church gets because the  world hates the Catholic Church and the moral stand she takes, which is why she gets the bad press. I am not excusing the priests who scandalize the Church, but then again, no one promised every priest would be sinless — even Jesus had to deal with a betrayer and a denier and at least nine other who abandoned him.

And remember that the sexual problems are also far worse in public schools, but don't expect the secular press to reveal that any time soon.

William April 13, 2008 at 6:14 PM

I once spent about three weeks living in one of the Calvary Chapel communes in Costa Mesa back in the early 70’s and while I wasn’t baptized by Pastor Chuck, I did spend about 45 minutes interviewing him. It was for a course I was taking at a Baptist college. There was a time where I’m sure I must have owned every cassette teaching produced by Calvary Chapel. Chuck was my Christian hero. At some point, while serving in Jerusalem as a Protestant missionary it occurred to my wife and me that we were hanging on Chuck’s every word, but ignoring the writings of guys who knew and studied under the apostles! That discovery and several others was the beginning of the end. We celebrate our 29th anniversary as Catholics this Pentecost! Thanks be to God.

Julie April 14, 2008 at 6:51 PM

William,
Thanks for sharing. What a great story. God bless you and also thanks be to God.

Mrs. E. July 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM

bummer! the article is gone. could you re-post?

this is of great interest to me, as my husband and i suffered much spiritual abuse in the folding-chairs of the CC. we do believe they meant well, and we have long since forgiven all, but in our opinion this movement is a borderline *cult*.

seriously.

we still have close friends in the leadership of this “non-denominational” denomination, and we continue to pray they come home to the Church SOON!

trudy wal August 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I read your book Crossing the Tiber a few years back. I thought you were gracious in your comments toward Protestants. I was impressed by what you shared and began to search my faith and seriously consider the claims of the Roman Catholic Church. You were the impetus to that. I did not make the change but kept reading all I could get my hands on. Presently I am reading “Pilgrim Church”…wonderful book. My library is getting quite extensive with books that you would approve and others that you would not. I decided this eve to look up your name on the web to see what you are now doing. Well NOW Having just briefly read your blog and other items on this website I do not see the person that I thought was reflected in that initial book. You put down the person who asked a dumb question. Okay maybe it was dumb to you but speaking as you did to him was unkind. ..not exuding the love of Christ that I expected. I guess what I am saying is that you seem to delight in putting people in their place. I detect some arrogance in reading your website. I hope you will see my point but if not I am sure you will have some comment to send my way.. I just want to say that I am disappointed.

Steve Ray August 19, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Sorry you are disappointed. My book Crossing the Tiber started out as a “love letter” to my father to explain my reasons for becoming Catholic. Quite a different scenario from a hostile audience in Manila that was attacking the Catholics. There are different situations when different responses have to be made. I hope you understand that. Catholic tend to roll over and let people kick them. They need to learn how to explain and defend their faith, even it it means being strong at times. Love does not equal nice. Love means being honest and defending the innnocent.

Had you been walking with Jesus you might also be disappointed with him when he chastised the uncharitable Pharisees, calling them white-washed tombs, foxes, and other very unkind and what you might refer to “arrogance.”