Jewish Businessman Angry at Anti-Catholic Bias

by Steve Ray on May 6, 2008

Sam Miller, prominent Cleveland businessman – Jewish, not Catholic – is fighting mad about the seemingly concentrated effort by the media to disparage the Catholic Church in the United States.  The following are excerpts of a speech by well-known Cleveland businessman Mr. Miller at the City Club of Cleveland, given on Thursday, March 6. Even though of the Jewish faith, Miller has been a staunch supporter of the Cleveland Diocese and Bishop Anthony Pilla. It was published in the May-June issue of the Buckeye Bulletin

Why would newspapers carry on a vendetta on one of the most important institutions that we have today in the United States, namely the Catholic Church?

Do you know – the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at the cost to your Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. Your graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%, all at a cost to you. To the rest of the Americans it's free.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students. The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people – not just Catholics – in the United States today.

But the press is vindictive and trying to totally denigrate in every way the Catholic Church in this country. . . .

For the whole speech, click here and wait only a second.

Brother Ed May 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM

That was good writing and well put. I appreciate that it was done by a Jewish man. I read it to my son, the Socialist, who is not all that favorable to the Church. Whenever I read something good to him, he always comes back that it is a Catholic defending the Church, so it has questionable value at best. This was great. He couldn’t toss that up in my face.

Of course, the media dislikes the Church. A survey was done several years ago of media figures and something like over 70% of them have no religious affiliation and claimed to be either agnostic or atheist. The Church stands for something — Truth. Unchangeable Truth in a time of complete moral relativism. No wonder they don’t like the Church and love to take every opportunity to trash Her.

That’s okay, boys and girls. Y’all have at it. The One upon Whom the Church is founded promised something about the gates of hell not prevailing against the Church, including through all the attacks of Her detractors.

Brother Ed

brian May 12, 2008 at 3:10 AM

I think the author has a good point, I work with Catholic Charities and several Churches mainly dealing with the disabled. I am not Catholic and do not think that is, nor ever would be an option. But I have great respect for the Catholic faith and for Catholic religious and Laypeople. Some of us had a great deal of Anti Catholic Rhetoric to overcome before we could see clearer. It is not an excuse nor should it be what so ever but it does take some time to overcome. I do wish you and your family the very best.

Kathy May 18, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Well said and appreciated. It’s not news if it’s not bad. The media blows small things out of proportion just to keep our attention.

Richard Lee June 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I am a former Protestant from the South who attended various churches sporadically and whose children all attended Catholic schools. Wth Christianity already on the defensive in this country, and after the scandals concerning the Catholic priests, and after 9/11, I felt an ever-increasing desire to help defend what I consider the American way of life and especially the Catholic church. They accepted me three years ago. I attend mass weekly. I am not on a soapbox, not a zealot, not into the nitty-gritty of two thousand years of the faith. I choose to view the Church from the positive side. I am basically a conservative, self-reliant person, which may go against the help-the-poor idea; but spending an hour and a half at mass each week forces me to give balance to my life. I am happy with my decision, and I appreciated reading the article by Mr. Miller.

Bill K June 26, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Always a skeptic – I need to know facts. Where do you get these numbers for the Catholic schools, church and clergy and the protestant clergy? I hope it was from an outside source and not simply the archdiocese. That would be like the FDA promoting a new drug (which they do) while they are funded to the tune of millions of dollars by the pharmaceutical industry – (which they are!)

STEVE RAY HERE: Not my facts. Write to Mr. Miller and ask him. But all through history it is the Catholic Church that has provided services and charity when no others are there. The Catholic Church has been the foundation of the Western world.

James Redin August 2, 2008 at 2:19 PM

I was amazed and greatly thankful for the information Mr. Miller provided about education and other activities of the Catholic church in the US. It’s obviously a silent but prolific action that is giving fruits. Love for the needy and the poor is what is needed in today’s world. Lack of knowledge, might be the reason for the lack of recognition from the media, but God certainly knows about it!

sister Lucy Moreno June 22, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Me parece excelente este comentario. Realmente Mr. Miller, muchas gracias. Cuántas veces es cierto que los católicos somos los más vulnerables ante las críticas de los medios de comunicación. Si tenemos algunas cualidades y logros no hay muchos que lo noten, en cambio si se trata de defectos, Dios nos libre!…. Aunque este artículo es tan alentador y cierto, no nos exime de la responsablidad que tenemos de seguir dando un testimonio creíble de nuestra fe. Que Dios lo bendiga.