Exhumed Body of Padre Pio

by Steve Ray on June 4, 2008

Pio5.jpg Pio4.jpg

Pio3.jpg Pio1.jpg

Jeff Miller June 4, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Actually I don’t believe Padre Pio is on of the incorruptables and appearances in this case are deceiving.

“When Pio’s crypt was opened earlier this year, the head was described as partly skeletal, though the hands were reportedly in perfect shape, with no traces of stigmata. A wax mask was ordered from a London company that once supplied Madame Tussauds. They worked entirely from photographs.”

Of course no wax mask was involved in the case of St. Bernadette and many others.

Padre Pio is a great saint, but it looks like God did not do this special miracle in his case.

Clare June 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I’m a little confused about this. Was Padre Pios body actually incorrupt? I have heard that they used a wax mask, which suggests that the face did corrupt.

William June 5, 2008 at 6:36 AM

St. Catherine Laboure’s body is covered with a coat of wax. Consider the billions spent by the Soviets to preserve Lenin. I think they’d have liked to have known Padre Pio’s secret. Wax or no wax, I think he’s incorruptable.

Tim June 5, 2008 at 12:20 PM

The face of St. Bernadette is indeed covered by a thin wax mask as are almost all incorruptibles. The remainder were either artificially preserved on internment or WERE incorruptible but are now reduced to bones and ash. There are only a few actual, current incorruptibles.

ref.: The Incorruptibles: A Study of the Incorruption of the Bodies of Various Catholic Saints and Beati by Joan Caroll Cruz

tobin nieto June 8, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Remember “parts” of saints have remained free from decay, an they are still considered incorruptibles. If it’s st. pio’s hands, that makes sense.

George Nagim June 30, 2008 at 1:38 AM

padre Pio is a “message” God wants to send to the believers that He still makes miracles. Those who believe have the Holy Spirit support..those who wont believe one day will wake up and find the truth.

Faith April 6, 2009 at 12:24 AM

incorrupt means, the whole body did not turn to dust, which is what most of man will become after man dies. doubting these miracles from God is a sign of a weak Faith.

Maria April 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I will be looking forward to my trip to Rome soon, and a stop to visit and pray where Padre Pio’s body is laid out since I have read so much and seen live footage on this beautiful, faithful and holy man of God.

MS July 21, 2009 at 3:16 AM

I believe Saint Padre Pio is very much alive in spirit. He is a great saint. His body should rest in peace not on display. It’s disrespectful. There should be a shrine of roses. To me his life is an inspiration and his teachings. I dont need proof to find out if his body is incorrupt. I believe he didnt even want his stigmata to be shown in public. From my understanding he was a private person who devoted his life to Christ and healed the suffering. His pictures are so powerful to look at. He is the look of unconditional love and more alive then ever to remind us to pray and give thanks for all the big and small miracles that happen in life.