Interesting Speculation: Is Obama Constitutionally Qualified to Be President?

by Steve Ray on December 2, 2008

UPDATE 12-04-08: There is an organzation called “We the People Foundation” that is taking out a full page ad in Thursday’s Chicago Tribute asking President-elect to prove his citizenship. You can see the full page ad here.

The Chicago Tribute article on the matter can be read here. The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear and rule on this on Friday.

**************************************

This has become a topic of discussion. The United States Constitution has guidelines on who can be president. It says:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Apparently, according to some, Obama has been unable or unwilling to prove that he is an American citizen according to the requirements of the Constitution. Some feel this could cause a constitutional crisis. I just post this as an interesting news item. Interesting, hum!

To read about one legal avenue being taken, read here.  Brought up by MSNBC News here.

David L. December 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Steve, at this point such actions are divisive and un-American. And they make people of faith look incredible.

STEVE RAY HERE: Not sure what is un-American about posting a news item of interest. I am not bringing the court action nor am I expressing any opinion on the matter. I simply am sharing a speculative news story and that seems to be American since we promote free speech and investigative reporting. This is not a thing brought about by “people of faith”; rather, it is a Democrat who is making the challenge. I am simply sharing the news story. Usually if this kind of thing is reported about a Democrat it is divisive; if it is reported about a conservative it is an important news story. Hum!

kevin December 2, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I am of course no Obama Fan. But if he is President — as a Christian I must respect him as such –like the early Christians did the Roman Emperors. But of course I must oppose all that is not good — all that is unjust (FOCA etc). Pray,respect, work against evil and for good. Here is a site I found about the birth certificate. It seems it is legit

STEVE RAY HERE: The difference between the Roman Empire and our country is that our country is a democratic republic. We have a constitution which governs the government — which is for, of and by the people. I know that people don’t pay the Constitution much heed these days, especially in allowing abortion and such, but we are nonetheless a constitutional republic and though I can and will respect the president and pray for him, we should expect him to be constitutionally qualified to be president. Some question that fact, and that is what Americans are supposed to do — make sure that government follows the Constitution and challenge any elected official if there is a question about their legitimacy. In this blog post I am just presenting an interesting news story, not taking sides or expressing any opinion about President-elect Obama. I have and will continue to exercise my right as an A”merican to express my opinions on Obama as I wish, especially on my blog.

kevin December 2, 2008 at 2:14 PM

I should add –I am not saying Steve is disrespecting him! Just a clarification. :)

STEVE RAY HERE: No offense taken. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jer December 3, 2008 at 12:46 AM

I would think (or hope at least) that Congress would be entitled to double checking, or demanding proof, that Obama was indeed qualified based on the Constitution prior to his swearing in.

Seems like that would be an automatic kind of deal. I think I heard something along these lines before, but I’ve never seen the media ever pick this issue up. I wonder how much validity there is to the claim?

Imagine though, what this country would be in for if they refused to allow Obama to take office based on something like this…. wow.

JohnD December 3, 2008 at 6:41 PM

I don’t think it is at all unreasonable to ask Obama to produce his original, signed, birth certificate.

I don’t understand Obama’s footdragging on this and have yet to hear a reasonable excuse.

kevin December 4, 2008 at 10:00 AM

It just seems that he already has:

One must read the whole thing. It seems that this is a “horse that will not run” for it has already ran and won. The certificate has been produced and has been said to be authentic by Hawaii –contrary to what the person argues.

Again I am no Obama supporter. And my point about the Roman Emperors is that Christians recognized their authority as from God…but would not do evil that was asked etc–but died as Martyrs. And since it seems all is authentic — we are in the same position…for they have produced the birth certificate and Hawaii says it is real (the seal etc is on the BACK of their certificates!) …so now we pray and avoid “offering any incense” (doing anything evil) etc and work for the good.

STEVE RAY HERE: First, challenging the consitution qualifications of a president-elect is far from evil. It is a proper American right and obligation if there is in fact something contrary to the law of the land which is the Constitution. Second, pinching incense to Caesar has nothing to do with challenging a constitution right or obligation — it is not even related. Pinching incense to Caesar was acknowledging Caesar as divine, as Lord. No Christian could do that then or today. But that is completely unrelated to challenging the constitutionality of an issue related to a president-elect in a constitutional republic.

JohnD December 4, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Kevin,

We’ve all seen the laser printout pixels. It’s simply not the signed original that was produced at the time of his birth. People want to see all the information on the original. They want to verify that there is no funny business based on obscure laws, loopholes or adoption procedures.

If you were in Obama’s shoes, wouldn’t you pick up the phone and have the original made public?