Why I Finally Cancelled My Subscription to NEWSWEEK

by Steve Ray on December 10, 2008

newsweek1OK, I’ve had enough. This week’s cover story in Newsweek is the straw that broke the camel’s back. I will no longer support this kind of crap nor allow it in my house.

(Cover: The Religious Case for Gay Marriage)

If they want to publish this kind of propoganda story they can find someone else to buy their lousy rag of a magazine.

David L. December 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM

That’s why I subscribe to the “American Conservative.”

Jeff Miller December 10, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Lisa Miller’s religious reporting has been horrible. Before the Pope’s visit here she wrote how he was the wrong pope for our time and how his trip would be disaster.

Laurie F December 11, 2008 at 4:29 AM

Time to throw down the gauntlet on these lyin’ dogs. I recall Newsweek also published a terrible cover of Gov. Sarah Palen. According to an graphics expert interviewed on Fox, it looked as they did everything to age her, show every fault & create some new ones. Upon viewing the issue, I was immediately appalled at their blatant dishonesty; they’d never do that to H. Clinton or Pelosi. HYPOCRITES!!! Remember the saying: “with friends like this who needs enemies.”

Time to put together a 40 days of Renewal for our liberal Media that continually feeds us 1/2 truths and outright lies. Perhaps someone could organize an effort to bring down the “mighty from their high places.” What do you think Steve? As far as I can tell, most of our media lack patriotism, character, integrity, etc. fill in the blank…

Ryan H December 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM

i agree that the article arrived at some completely unfounded but conclusions, but there was something there that as Catholics we may take away positively- the morality and theology that many Protestants subscribe to is not explicitly (or even implicitly) found in the pages of scripture. The article highlighted the fact that many take their morality and theology for granted, without realizing its true basis is in the Church and her teaching authority (from which scripture comes). As Catholics, we aren’t troubled by the absence of an explicit definition of marriage from scripture anymore than we are troubled by the absence of any reference to the trinity. Grain of sugar, perhaps….

Curtis C. December 11, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Really Steve,

I’m surprised it took you this long.

Mary S December 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

The last issues I read suggested that the Chinese and Russian government systems had something to teach Amercia — same issue as the Palin article. I was stuck in a waiting room and had to read something. we are headed for communism.

Janet January 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I canceled my weekly new magazine subscription when Bill Clinton was elected to his first term. I don’t watch much TV, it helps me sleep better. I just have to wean myself away from the computer. It is very difficult to stay up on what is happening in the world when I just can’t believe what I read.

Marie July 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I have concerns about this too, but sadly my priest does not. Our music director is openly gay and in a relationship. His partner does not attend Mass, but does come to some of the special events. Everyone in town is aware of this man’s lifestyle (small town) because he is very active in the community. I have people at church tell me how cool they think it is that our Catholic parish is open to gay relationships. I have since stopped attending regularly–maybe once in a while with my husband,but have found a church that follows the commands of God.