De-baptizing?

by Steve Ray on April 3, 2009

From my friend and Canon Lawyer Ed Peters:

Britons, we are told, have downloaded some 100,000 “de-baptism” forms, and another 1,500 blokes have paid some $ 5 each for a “de-baptism” parchment. Presumably, people sign these forms and what, we’re not sure, hang them up on the wall or something.

A few thoughts on the “de-baptism” fad, beginning with: there’s no such thing as “de-baptism”:

Patty Bonds April 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM

What a slap in the face of God. Here take you grace and leave me be. It’s hard to imagine the darkness of a heart that would even consider such a thing.

Mike Sanders April 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I can’t stand when people have a lack of respect for the Sacraments. You can’t undo a Sacrament. I suppose they could always try some sort of annulment process for baptism and say “it never happened”, and claim a lack of cononical form or some other ridiculous thing. A Sacrement is a Sacrement, once you’ve recieved it you can’t take it back or undo it.

Jay April 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Those parchments will look nice hanging on the walls of their cells in Hell. We should pray for these poor, misguided people.

another catholic April 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I heard that people in Italy and Spain are trying to do the same thing, while in Germany, Austria and the Switzerland they can “step out” of the Church because there is a state organized Church tax system so Catholics are registered. They only have to go the town hall and let themselves be registered as “non-confessional” or something else. By this way they consider themselves as “non-catholics”. But what a stupid thing to do. For example, I am Chinese, can I call myself that a non-Chinese if I get the Green Card or the citizenship of another country? Well, I am still Chinese, also I would be a citizen of another country. But I have my Asian outlook and people still consider me as “ethnic Chinese”. So I can’t deny my identity. And the same with a baptized Catholic. He is once baptized, and he can’t change what already happened. Can he go to an organization or an office to let his own history be undone? Perhaps he can also go to an office to get himself unborn?

So people are stupid. And the state makes the profit by cashing in the dollars.

They don’t understand the supernatural aspect of the baptism and the Church, they think that the Church is a club and they can enter and go as they like it.

Mrs. Tim Hall April 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I think these people must be either atheists/agnostics, wanting to reject Christianity altogether, or new credo-baptist Protestants. In both cases, why would they waste their money to get “unbaptized” when they probably don’t consider their baptism as affecting anything?

Georgina April 4, 2009 at 1:14 AM

So very sad – they need our prayers – and people wonder why the world is in such disarray, in such a deplorable state: let’s see…promotion of a culture of death, immorality EVERYWHERE, “alternataive” life styles, global economic crises, unemployment, etc., etc. A people get what they deserve. These are the consequences of a sinful people, increasingly Godless societies…this is just the beginning. The world better wake up and wake up very fast! God MUST be once again at the CENTER of all our lives, everything else is secondary. When this happens, all will start to fall into its proper place. PRAY THE ROSARY!!!

Howard April 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM

While they’re at it, they should buy a Ph.D. in theology from an unaccredited university, then write a book for Oprah.

CLAUDIO YACAMANR April 4, 2009 at 9:37 AM

YES THERE IS DEBAPTISMAL THESE IS HOW IT WORKS EVERYTHINH CATHOLICS SAY PROTESTANTS SAY IT BACKWARDS SO WHEN A PROTESTANT REMEMBERS HIS CHILD HOOD THAT HE WAS A CATHOLIC NOT BY CHOICE BUT BY FORCE HE HAS TO RENOUNCE ACORDING TO THEM TO SATAN YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND PROTESTANT IT DOES NOT MATER ACORDING TO THEM CATHOLIC ARE IDOLATERS AND IS CURENTLY THE CHURCH OF SATAN SO YES THEY DO HAVE THESE SPIRITUAL NEED OF BEING DEBAPTISED IT DOES NOT MATER YOU TELL A PROTESTANT LOOK THERE IS NOTHING BIBLICALY OR MORALY WRONG IN THE INFANT BAPTISMAL YOU ARE BRINGING IN THAT CHILD IN TO THE FAMILIE OF CHRISTS YOU NO WHAT THEY SAY YOU CANT FORCE ME.

Rick A. April 4, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Baptism is an indelible mark on the soul, PERIOD!! Good luck on your “de-baptism”.

katey April 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM

It only so they can still live in sin

Maurice April 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I’d suggest that these people who try to be debaptized go to their mothers to be deborn first.

debra froat April 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I pity these people. Most do truly do not understand what they are rejecting. Their view of Chrisitianity, and Catholicism especially, has been distorted by the media and educational system.