Good News for Parents…

by Steve Ray on August 11, 2009

… the new ObamaScare plan will be sending government counselors to YOUR home to help you raise your kids!   Isn’t this good news?!

counsellingThe counselors will come to your home to train and observe you as you interact with your children. And what else will they do while they are there — see if you have a gun? Report if you are teaching children that abortion or homosexuality are sins? Checking to see if you are leaving too big of a carbon blueprint?

Oh, you think I am kidding or exaggerating? Keep reading!

And remember, it is not the bill that really counts, it is the way it will be interpreted by the local bureaucrats who will impose their version of family life on YOU!

It’s outlined in sections 440 and 1904 of the House bill (Page 838), under the heading “home visitation programs for families with young children and families expecting children.” The programs (provided via grants to states) would educate parents on child behavior and parenting skills.

Happy_FamilyThe bill says that the government agents, “well-trained and competent staff,” would “provide parents with knowledge of age-appropriate child development in cognitive, language, social, emotional, and motor domains … modeling, consulting, and coaching on parenting practices,” and “skills to interact with their child to enhance age-appropriate development.”

As Chuck Norris wrote (Chuck Norris? Yes, Chuck Norris!) in his blog on this matter:  “Are you kidding me?! With whose parental principles and values? Their own? Certain experts’? From what field and theory of childhood development? As if there are one-size-fits-all parenting techniques! Do we really believe they would contextualize and personalize every form of parenting in their education, or would they merely universally indoctrinate with their own?”

I would add: “What is the religious philosophy of the counselors? What will they think of our devout Catholic teaching? Will our opposition to  homosexuality and abortion be considered “inappropriate”? This is a nightmare in the making for Catholic families and homeschoolers! Beware America! Wake up!

ObamaScare, coming to a home near you — opps, I mean coming to YOUR home?

Visit here to express your opinion.

Dan Wurtz August 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Awesome information!
Thanks Steve and Chuck!!
This bill is like a giant room with a one flashlight. You never know what is lurking in the corner or darkness!

Black Falcon August 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Unfortunately, you are misrepresenting the bill. Also, if those who have the courage to freely express themselves, and be who they are, and those who are willing to make the sacrifice instead of letting their children suffer are sinners, I wonder who is truly innocent.

STEVE RAY HERE: YOU MAKE TWO POINTS: FIRST THAT I AM MISREPRESENTING THE BILL AND SECOND, THAT THE BILL IS OK AND WE WHO OPPOSE IT ARE LETTING CHILDREN SUFFER BECAUSE WE WANT TO RETAIN OF FREEDOM FROM GOVERNMENT INTRUSION INTO OUR HOMES AND LIVES — YOUR COMMENTS WERE NOT CLEAR, BUT I THINK I AM CORRECTLY UNDERSTANDING YOUR WORDS.

FIRST, I AM NOT MISREPRESENTING THE OBAMA BILL. YOU CAN READ IT FOR YOURSELF. IT OPENS THE HOME TO THE GOVERNMENT COUNSELORS. YOUR CONTENTION THAT I MISREPRESENT MAY BE BECAUSE I PRESENT THE LOGICAL AND USUAL WAY THAT BILLS ARE PLAYED OUT AT THE LOCAL LEVEL. WHAT SOUNDS HIGH AND LOFTY AND NOBLE IN A BILL BECOMES REGULATED ON THE LOCAL LEVEL TO VIOLATE PERSONAL FREEDOMS AND A FAMILY’S RIGHT TO PRIVACY AND FREEDOM FROM GOVERNMENT INTRUSION.

ALL ONE HAS TO DO IS LOOK AT OBAMA’S SOCIALIST WORLDVIEW TO REALIZE THAT HE IS MOVING TOWARD EROSION OF PERSONAL PRIVACY (EXCEPT FOR ABORTION, OF COURSE) IN FAVOR OF GOVERNMENT CONTROL.

SECOND, IT SEEMS NAIVE TO ME THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE UP FREEDOMS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN VISIT AND INSPECT HOMES TO INSURE PROPER EDUCATION OF CHILDREN. WHO WATCHES THE WATCHERS? WHO INSPECTS THE INSPECTORS? AND WHO IS SUGGESTING WE ALLOW CHILDREN TO SUFFER?

I THINK YOU MISREPRESENT MY WORDS SINCE I NEVER SUGGEST WE ALLOW CHILDREN TO SUFFER. WE ALREADY HAVE LAWS IN PLACE TO INTERCEDE IN SITUATIONS WHEN CHILDREN ARE BEING ABUSED. NO SYSTEM WILL BE PERFECT BUT WE MUST RETAIN OUR PERSONAL FREEDOMS–ESPECIALLY IN OUR HOMES WITH OUR CHILDREN.

WE ALSO MUST REMEMBER THAT A GOVERNMENT THAT IS BIG ENOUGH TO GIVE US EVERYTHING; IS BIG ENOUGH TO TAKE EVERYTHING AWAY TOO — INCLUDING OUR FREEDOMS.

Sue from Buffalo August 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I agree with you 100%, Steve. Now I have a question concerning this bill. My husband brought it up last night. Does it say anywhere in this bill that there is money tied in to this home “inspection?” In other words, are the families (whose homes would be inspected) applying for some sort of government handout?

I’m wondering on what pretext the govt would have for coming into people’s homes? It would seem more logical (however, not ethical) that the govt would go into people’s homes if they’re applying for some form of welfare. This bill said that it (the home inspections) would be geared more for low-income people.

Thanks in advance.
Sue

STEVE RAY HERE: HELLO SUE. NOT SURE HOW TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. ON MY BLOG I POSTED THE LINK TO THE ACTUAL BILL ON THE INTERNET — AND THE PAGE NUMBER. IF YOU HAVE TIME TO RESEARCH THIS — WHICH I DON’T RIGHT NOW — PLEASE LET US KNOW.

David L. August 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Having worked, until recently, for an organization whose HR Director really bought into this kind of “preppy Stalinism” I can fully attest that Steve is not exaggerating. In that environment it was very difficult for Department Heads to effectively manage staff. I can only imagine what would this would mean for parents.

Elizabeth McClintic August 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM

So when they turn the age of three or four these children will then be considered human beings and not a moment before.

Francis Beckwith August 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Black Falcon should correct Steve rather than merely claiming he is wrong.

Moreover, the whole idea of “family counselors” as officers of the state is kind of creepy, not to mention illiberal. For we are often told by liberals that “family is a circle of love” and they we shouldn’t be “judgmental” about different “lifestyles.” Given those beliefs, how can a liberal regime competently inform its citizens on how fathers and mothers and children ought to act in relation to each other, since such roles are “social constructions” and instruments of patriarchal oppression? A regime that believes that it is uncertain on what marriage is, really is not in a position to “counsel” others about their family life.

Sue from Buffalo August 12, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Hi Steve. This is the best I could do. It doesn’t say how it would be run. There is a lot of vagueness here. I guess if the devil is in the details then they want to save the details for after the bill is passed. Here is what it says. I cut and pasted the parts pertaining to my question (as best I could).

‘‘(3) ASSURANCES.—Assurances from the State that—

the State shall identify and prioritize serving
communities that are in high need of such serv
ices, especially communities with a high propor
tion of low-income families or a high incidence
of child maltreatment;

‘‘(C) in supporting home visitation pro
grams using funds provided under this section,
the State will promote coordination and collabo
ration with other home visitation programs (in
cluding programs funded under title XIX) and
with other child and family services, health
services, income supports, and other related as
sistance;
‘‘(D) home visitation programs supported
using such funds will, when appropriate, pro
vide referrals to other programs serving chil
dren and families; and
‘‘(E) the State will comply with subsection
(i), and cooperate with any evaluation con24
ducted under subsection (j).
VerDate Nov

Clear as mud, isn’t it?

Ronald King August 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM

There are millions of children at risk and it is absolutely wrong that we can spend trillions on war and saving cheating financial institutions and not have the programs developed nationally that address the needs of these children who are essentially aborted after birth.
We clearly have the means to help them but do we have the desire?

STEVE RAY HERE: HEY RONALD, I LOVE YOU BROTHER AND I LOVE YOUR DEVOTION TO JESUS AND HIS CHURCH . . .
. . . BUT FRANKLY, THE IDEA OF OPENING HOMES TO ATHEISTIC AND SECULARIST “COUNSELORS,” SUBMITTING OURSELVES TO THEIR CONTROL IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. I CERTAINLY DO NOT WANT CHILDREN ABUSED NOR MONEY WASTED, BUT THIS OBAMASCARE IS ***NOT*** THE SOLUTION. THIS IS NOT A MATTER OF “FEELINGS” IT IS A MATTER OF GOVERNMENT TYRANNY. THERE ARE FAR BETTER SOLUTIONS!
. . . GOVERNMENT CONTROLLING AND PAYING FOR ABORTION AND EUTHANASIA, CONTROLLING OUR HOMES AND CHILDREN, DECIDING IF AND WHEN WE GET HEALTH CARE, AND DECIDING WHEN WE DIE — GEEZ, THIS IS SCARY AND NEEDS TO BE OPPOSED WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE.

Heydon August 12, 2009 at 10:08 PM

The left will stop at nothing in their quest for power. At this point they are over reaching and showing their true agenda. As long as they stay under the microscope they will keep lashing out. It is funny how they will always say that someone is wrong, but they can never truly back their opinion.

Kim Jackson August 12, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Steve,
I agree with you 100%. I’m also sick and tired of people thinking that we have to support THIS plan or else we must not care about the poor etc.. There are lots of better ways to reform health care that would be more effective, cost efficient and moral. Government control of health care is the absolutely wrong way to fix health care costs.

Ronald King August 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Steve, I love you too and your passion for Our Lord and His Church. Well, that was a good start! Just returned from my AM Rosary Run and I wish you were here running with me so we could run and pray together and share what God shares with us. However, if I start doing my old man hacking be not afraid because it just seems to come with age.
What came to me this morning was the thought that we as Catholics need to present our own national program that is united under one umbrella in the Church that does care for children in need and their parents or guardians and is offered in the public school systems from K-12th.

Randy August 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM

We have home visits in Canada a few days after birth. They were a cost cutting measure because they allowed most women to go home 24 hours after delivering a child. They are a good thing. The nurses answer questions about breastfeeding, hygine, etc. They examine mother and child. They do exactly what they would have done if mother and baby were in hospital. They just do it at home.

Ronald King August 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I haven’t seen any alternatives being offered to the government program by those who are against it. I am not saying I am for the government program and I have offered one suggestion as an alternative.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? In my vocation I have people come in with complaints and feeling helpless and powerless resulting in depression and an underlying hostility turned towards self or others. This is the dynamic of learned helplessness. One of the major strategies we employ is problem-solving techniques that make use of internal and external resources to mutually create a resolution for the problem that initiated this contact.

STEVE RAY HERE. THE REPUBLICANS HAVE OFFERED EXCELLENT AND VERY EFFECTIVE PLANS THAT WILL FIX THE PROBLEMS WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK AND STEALING OUR FREEDOMS. NO ONE HEARS MUCH ABOYT THEM BECAUSE THE MEDIA IS IN LOVE WITH OBAMA AND IS NOT REPORTING. BUT YOU CAN DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND FIND OUT THERE ARE EXCELLENT ALTERNATIVES.

Ronald King August 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I do not want either party nor the government to create resolutions. I want our faithful to unite and provide solutions under the umbrella of the Church. If every diocese is united under a common purpose there is no stopping the development of a private healthcare plan open to everybody and child welfare would be more available to children in need with qualified professionals that we would trust in our faith.
Right now we are too fragmented in services that are already available in our faith and consequently they are operating less efficiently than is possible if we were to unite under one umbrella and develop a coherent national approach to the aforementioned problems.
If we rely on government or other private enterprises we repeat history. Private health insurance providers have failed us and many of the insurers have plans that cover abortion.
Why can’t we do it? I am extremely distressed that we cannot think outside the box and see that we do not need government or any of the private institutions to provide for us what we can provide for ourselves and others.
We Catholics could develop a plan that would outshine any other proposal and draw others to us who might now oppose us.
This is what I get from my morning Rosary Runs.

Margaret August 19, 2009 at 3:47 AM

Margaret

Edward A. Hara August 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM

With the God haters we have in our government, we need to be very suspicious when it comes to them wanting to teach, train, or other wise indoctrinate (as in indoctrinate our children in to liberalism) our children.

Isn’t it amazing how the power elites always think they are the smartest people on the planet and therefore, that gives them a divine right to treat everyone else as a dummy?