Catholic Resources for iPhone

by Steve Ray on November 16, 2009

screen-captureYeah, I must admit — I am an iPhone devotee. I love the thing. One friend said it was life altering and I agree. I use it for many things to simplify (and often complicate) my life.

One problem: I have all the Mass Readings and daily prayers, but when I whip it out at Mass to read along in two translations everyone thinks I am checking my email. Hum! What to do?

There are wonderful iPhone aps for Catholics — yes, there is an ap for that! Here are a few I use all the time.

Bible Reading or Study: Check out OliveTree and Logos and CatholiciPhone

Daily Readings, Office and Prayers: Universalis, iBreviary, iMissal

Mass Times and Church Locations: Mass Times

Church Documents and other: Recordatio, iPieta, Dictionary of the Bible, Bible Dictionary, Catholic Trivia, History of the Popes, Catholic Days, and Let Us Pray.

If you have favorites, please let us know in the Comments below.

Ian November 16, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Hello Mr. Ray,

Having been unemployed for a long time now, I have decided to start my own shop at writing code for the iPhone. I was wondering if you would permit me to write some apps based on your documentaries the “The Footprints of God.” Would that be something you’d be interested in? Thanks in advance.

Pax Christi,
Ian

Diana Rodriguez November 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Hello, was wondering if you would know of a website that speaks to Vatican II changes and why the opposition to them. I am very confused on this issue, especially when some people refer to Vatican II changes as being so negative. Thank you for any help you can provide.

God Bless,
Diana ROdriguez

Henry Siy November 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info Steve. Keep us posted with new Catholic apps.

Edward Kolb November 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Mass Times has been recently replaced by The Catholic Directory. It works much better in determining your current location and listing near by Catholic Churches and Mass times. I have found some Mass times and parish staff locally that are out of date but there is a link on the site to send in updates. It continues to have the daily readings, and Mass videos.

Mike November 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM

The Didache is one I grabbed. It is audio as well if you don’t want to read it.

Marilyn Farneman November 16, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I have the original iphone bought in July 2007. Will check out the apps you mention. By the way I will be on two of your pilgrimages in 2010. Look forward to meeting you. I am thinking of using my iphone in Italy and Israel. Is it costly to use international? Marilyn

Rennie Pelkie December 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I love the iPhone. There are so many rich resources available for it. A new recent Apologetic one worth considering is “Answers 4 Catholics” – http://www.catholiciphone.com

Jim Mazzarelli March 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Regarding iPhone apps for the faith, I use a half dozen or so to different degrees and have found iMissal, which you mention in your original post, to be the most beneficial. In addition to a calendar containing the daily mass readings (written and audio!), there is an exhaustive catalog of prayers by category. I use it multiple times a day and highly recommend it.

Another app that is extremely powerful is iConfess. It contains a detailed Q&A on the sacrament, a guide for examining one’s conscience, and a section on prayers to be said before, during and after performing the sacrament.