What If Your Parents Were Morons?

by Steve Ray on January 11, 2010

On the first day of school, young Lucy took her seat in science class. The teacher began to explain why there was no God and why she was an atheist. The students all listened carefully. At the end of the class the teacher asked how many of the children wanted to be atheists like her.

Classroom.jpgNot wanting to contradict the new teacher all the students raised their hands — except Lucy. The teacher said, “Lucy, why didn’t you raise your hand?” Lucy responded, “Because I am not an atheist and never will be. I am a Christian.”

The teacher was perturbed and said, “Why are you a Christian?” Lucy answered, “My mother is intelligent and she is a Christian; my father is very intelligent and he is a Christian — so I am a Christian too.”

The teacher was angry now and asked, “That is ridiculous. If your mother was a moron and your father was a moron, what would you be then?”

Lucy thought for a moment and then said, “I’d probably be an atheist!”

Volpius Leonius November 20, 2008 at 12:58 PM

LOL good one I am going to use it :)

James H November 23, 2008 at 8:44 AM

I suppose it’s funny from a point of view, but it really betrays a certain close-mindedness all around. A teacher at a public school should not religious doctrine — or areligious doctrine — into the classroom. Meanwhile, if the little girl grows up accepting her parents’ religious doctrine without questioning it, then she’s on a very closed path and doomed to a stunted philosophical life.

Paul W. Primavera January 11, 2010 at 8:04 AM

James,

Regardless of your argument, little Lucy is correct: if her parents were morons, then she’d likely be atheist.

It’s really that simple.

;-)

Michael McGreevy January 11, 2010 at 8:06 AM

DR. Scott Hahn said something that has stuck with me. An atheist has not as much as a intellectual problem as it is a problem of the heart. Saying their is no God allows me to be god.

Brother Ed January 11, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Seen this story before and no matter how many times I read it, I always get a laugh because of the truth contained in it.

That said …. it is not only a matter of the heart, as Mike said, but it is usually a matter of sex. Scratch most atheists deep enough and you find that they do not wish any restrictions on with whom they have sex or what they do in the bedroom. And they realize that if you REALLY believe, you bring all that to the foot of the Cross and it is changed.

John January 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Vatican I said that any Catholic who says that human reason can’t perceive something about God from the natural world is basically heretical. In other words they made it a dogma of faith that believing in God is not just a dogma of faith. Divine irony. It was a reaction against modernism and the growing relativism of the late 19th century. Skepticism has become the new religion though; especially in the form of false tolerance that overlooks the differences in religions based on the idea that you can’t prove them anyway so just believe what floats your boat.

I like Peter Kreeft’s stuff. His website has a lot of good arguments for God based on reason: