Still Not Alone in My Home Office

by Steve Ray on April 23, 2010

Dad in my officeWhen Bella or the other grandkids are not keeping my company, my 91 year old father is. He is the best dad in the world and took good care of me when I was a kid. I am glad to take good care of him now.

He turned down significant promotions at Ford Motor Company because it would take him away from home too much. He always said, “I cannot accept the promotion because it would require me to work evenings and weekends. I can’t do that because I have three boys at home.”

How could I not move him into our home (with mom too) to take care of him through his last days. Read Sirach 3:1-16.

Suzanne April 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Steve…the time will probably come when you WILL be alone in your office and then you will wish you had some one! ;-)

Mike Phillips April 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Having met your parents and found them both delightful, your willingness to care for them is simply proof that the acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree!

Pete April 23, 2010 at 7:49 PM

It’s a good thing, Steve. I spend a lot of time taking care of my 89 year old Mom. She still lives in her house but it takes a lot of machinations to achieve that and keep her there. The fact is, they took care of you and the reverse is true. I have heard it said, our parents care for us for 18 years and we care for them for 18 years. I am not prepared to debunk that concept!

Richard Marquis April 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM

God grant your dad and mom many blessed years in health and happiness and beatific joy in the next.
Christ IS Risen! +Peace+

Richard Marquis April 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Christ IS Risen!
+Peace+

Suzanne April 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM

God bless you for being such a good and devoted son! Your parents are lucky, but sounds like you and your siblings were the lucky ones. You and Janet are doing such a good and selfless thing by taking care of your parents now. Wish more people would respect the sacrifices parents make for their children! It’s only right to return the favor when the time comes.

God bless you.

Suzanne

Carlo April 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

How terrific, thanks for posting this! A terrific and genuine Christian witness! I know that’s not why you did it, but it’s still a very terrific thing to read in these days where my friends parents scoff at the idea of taking in their parents because “the old bat might live another 20 years, I don’t want to waste that much of my life”. God bless you Stephen.

Tom Nourse April 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Steve, if only my heart was more like yours!!! That will be my prayer today. Thanks for being such a great witness to other men like me who once thought I understood what it was to be a man but am greatful for your demonstrations of true manliness.
God bless you and your family.
Tom

Anastacia April 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM

That is wonderful Steve. We should all do this!

God Bless,