Protestant Heaven vs. Catholic Heaven – Simpson Style

by Steve Ray on May 19, 2010

SimpsonCatholicHeaven.jpg

This got a chuckle out of me so I thought you might like it to. Bart and Homer convert to the Catholic Church and leave Marge a Protestant, to her chagrin. Click here. Let me know if you like it or not.

Chris August 18, 2007 at 9:18 PM

That’s a classic Simpson’s episode! The clip is the best scene from the episode.

Dannyd1 August 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM

I thought the clip was interesting. I don’t watch the simpson’s but there is always a first.

Bob Lozano August 19, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I did chuckle when I saw it, but was somewhat uncomfortable at the same time. Yet I did show it to my wife, who chuckled by I suspect felt the same sort of discomfort.

Why, I wondered, was I a little uneasy?

Well UFR I think this sort of thing tends to diminish charity. If, as a Catholic, I poke fun at my Protestant brothers and sisters and it makes me laugh, what good is that? If the laughter was based on something that is not true isn’t this a form of calumny, and if it was true isn’t that a form of detraction?

Admittedly these are probably pretty mild, yet that underlying reality remains. If we were poking fun at ourselves then it’s probably a bit of self-deprecating humor, which if gentle enough is really a nice form of humility in action.

Then there was another point, which is a reason that, in general, I’m not a fan of Simpson-style “humor”. As C.S. Lewis points out in the Screwtape Letters, sarcasm is really the lowest form of humor. It is very easy to make, tends to make the originator think of themselves as exceedingly clever, and tends to throw the task of bearing the brunt of the sarcasm on somebody else. And in this, doesn’t isn’t it really inspired by, and in execution lead to pride?

At any rate, I did chuckle, wished I hadn’t, and in the end I don’t think this is really very helpful. Thanks for asking.

Bob Lozano

SuzieQuzie August 20, 2007 at 10:34 AM

I thought it was hilarious. We need to laugh at ourselves. This simple parody pokes fun at both. There are times when The Simpsons is brilliant in this sense. Both Catholics and Protestants can look at this and look at how others perceive them, and work to correct anything that isn’t quite Christlike.

One point my 12 year old made – did you notice that Jesus was in the Catholic heaven?

Also, as a Notre Dame fan, I liked the guy with the ND sweater!

Brent Robbins August 20, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Hi Steve,

It was pretty funny. However, I don’t really get why the Prots were all yuppies. Wouldn’t there be more rednecks? Haha.

And where are the Arabs in Catholic Heaven? Go Maronites!

Paul Primavera May 19, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Bob Lozano.

You’re thinking is screwing up your smiling. Analysis is a paralysis. The video was funny. Period. That’s all.

Sean Herriott May 19, 2010 at 7:45 AM

That was hysterical! I didn’t expect Catholic heaven to be the “fun” one.

Jeff August 23, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I needed to see this today and forward it to all my friends after yesterday’s sermon. Our deacon accused Catholics of having a skewed concept of heaven–claiming that the Church used to teach that only Catholics were allowed in Heaven.

If I had his email I would forward this to him

Thanks for the humor!