From Sunni Muslim to Catholic: Interesting Journey with Lots of Good Info

by Steve Ray on January 4, 2012

Koran or Bible? Michael had to answer that question.

Michael lived in Saudi Arabia and was a member of a Sunni Muslim family. His story is educational especially for those who want to understand Islam. Many people think it is impossible or at least very difficult for a Muslim to become a Christian. Michael’s story will be instructive. Michael said he wrote it to bring glory to God Almighty. It is a long story of 21 pages and well worth reading.

He begins: When I thought about writing my testimony many things came to my head. Should I write it in order to share my Catholic and Christian faith with others? Should I add more reasons that will help others convert and see the light of the truth and the darkness of false teachings? What do I want from sharing my conversion?

I decided to write my story as it is with nothing made up. Since I am trying to be honest and of course I can share more reasons about why Islam is a false religion or why Protestantism is not for me.

To read the whole story, click here.

Gerry Mahlman January 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Steve, Thanks for sharing Michael’s inspiring and courageous story. The word has to get out about the real oppression faced by Muslims who even show the slightest interest in Christianity and the Church. In many nations today as we know, they suffer real persecution, yet the media looks the other way. Maybe you can encourage Michael to contact Marcus Grodi. I’d love to see him on a future Coming Home show. God Bless.
Gerry from Pennsylvania

Marjoirie Ramas Mejica-Saidali January 8, 2012 at 1:28 AM

no religion can save us.,its the thing we do will be counted.

Ibrahim Robinson January 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM

STEVE RAY HERE: I ALLOW THIS COMMENT FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION THOUGH I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH THE POSITION TAKEN AND THE CONCLUSIONS. I DO APPRECIATE THE SOMEWHAT TEMPERATE AND POLITE TONE. I DON’T HAVE TIME TO RESPOND BUT HOPE SOMEONE DOES. I WISH I HAD TIME TO THOROUGHLY REFUTE BUT DON’T AT THIS TIME.

Well Steve, I converted from Roman Catholicism to Sunni Muslim after almost a decade in “the Church.” I congratulate you on your impressive books but sorry I have to discount this young man’s testimony as poor and full of inaccuracies. It challenges me like Jack Chick’s anti-Catholic offerings challenge you, not very much! Perhaps I could introduce you to some real resources by the University Presses.

I won’t go into a detailed critique of Michael’s journey but certain points are striking:
1) American democracy and religious freedom certainly impress Michael but this is hardly thanks to Catholicism/Christianity. Anyone with an ounce of historical awareness knows that monolithic Christian societies were intolerant even to other denominations never mind non-Christian religions. Michael likes the USA’s Enlightenment freedoms and confuses this with Christianity!

2) The Quran does not say that Mary is a member of the Trinity, rather it criticizes the exaltation of Jesus and Mary, viz. their divinisation and/or eccentric exaltation by the Christians of its era. I presume you, an ex-Baptist, now support the excesses of Pius XII’s Marian prose, St. Alphonsus Liguori, the whole caboodle. I tried to for ten years but I’m far too simple, I never got to Scott Hahn ‘Hail Holy Queen’ level and hey, I really tried even writing deeply researched Master’s degree papers hoping for the penny to drop. Today I’m happy praying to God and asking Him alone for help.

3) What Islam was Michael identifying with? “Liberal” Sunni Islam, the Saudi state’s puritan Wahhabi Islam or the anti-government Islamists setting off bombs in his home country? Apparently all of them as far as he can use them to attack our pure monotheistic faith. As a child the IRA’s Catholic bombers were killing my countrymen here in England. What are violent political activists meant to prove about the truth of Catholicism or Islam?

4) I am particularly saddened by Michael’s account of leaving pristine Arabian monotheism for statues, saints and praying to Mary which he “found hard at first”, lol. Oh boy what is he thinking.

5) We do not hate Jews although antisemitism is hardly unknown in Catholic and Orthodox history or of course the Arab world. I for one do not hate Jews but like most non-evangelical Christians I am not a Zionist and neither is your Pope! My Qur’an translation of choice is by the Jewish convert Muhammad Asad (Leopold Weiss), I am currently reading the Jewish rabbi Reuven Firestone’s ‘Introduction to Islam for Jews.’ I like Jews and always will.

I am saddened by Michael’s departure just as you are probably saddened by the badly catechized Catholics who leave Rome hooked by evangelical bible bashing and dishonest semi-baked arguments. How about presenting an Islamic scholar who left us rather than a kid.

If you want instructive material on Islam I suggest you investigate more credible sources. John L Esposito’s books and web resources are accurate as you would expect from a leading Vatican scholar. In the final analysis you know that there is an appalling anti-Catholic disinformation industry and should know there is an equally appalling anti-Islamic genre. Here are some of the leading hate groups:

Whether you understand it now or later God is absolutely One and the idols/statuary and associationism (shirk) of your colorful Greco-Roman “monotheism” is aberrational. The ‘back to the sources’ approach of the Catholic historical argument does not go back far enough. The Semitic Christianity of the pre-70 AD Jewish converts was unitarian and that’s why the preaching in Acts claims Jesus was the Christ. The disciples continued to congregate in the Temple and no Jew in this era was asked to believe Jesus was YHWH. Trinitarian Christianity is Gentile and distorted, Jesus the Nazarene was a Torah-observant Jew and Islam is the faith of Abraham, Islam is corrective not innovative. Jesus taught us that there is but One God (cf Mark 12:29). I declare the Schema, I declare the Shadada. No deity but God, no partners, no mother, no one like unto Him. Pray about it.

Jean January 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Read the entire story by “Michael”. Wow! I am amazed and humbled by this young man’s perseverance in seeking The Way, The Truth, and The Life. How blessed he was to be moved by the picture of Michael the Archangel and the Guardian Angel hymn so many years ago. Certainly, it was St. Michael who protected and defended him through this extremely difficult journey. May he always look to his personal Guardian (Arch!)Angel when in doubt or danger. He has a strong and very capable ally against the influences of Satan, wherever they may occur.
May God bless you and your loved ones always, Michael! Thank you for your courage and your absolutely beautiful witness!

Jean January 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM

P.S. By “the influences of Satan” in my comment above, I mean just that. It is not meant to imply any particular viewpoint or system of beliefs. Satan seeks the ruin of souls — each and every one of us — he cares not what we call ourselves. But sin and death have been defeated by the Body and Blood of Christ Jesus, and Satan retreats when he is confronted by that fact or by the intercession of our Heavenly Mother whenever we ask her for help.

Michael January 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

This is short Response to the points which were risen by Ibrahim Robinson

1- Admiring the American and western Values have nothing to do with Christianity ,I mentioned this fact in my story to show how changes were in my life and in my thinking , I wanted to show how Liberal I started to become, which are something alien to my Saudi society , and when I started to embrace those values I started to question religion with reason in later period of my life , and thats my whole point , the only one who is claiming that I mixed the western values with Christianity is you .

2- Let’s see what the Quran says [5:116] And behold! God will say: “O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God’?” ,This was taught to me in School that Christians worship 3 Gods , and Mary is God . The Quran in Arabic Used the term God when Allah was taking to Jesus , so God is arguing Jesus , did you tell the Christian to worship you and you mother as Gods beside me ? Ibn Kather the famous commentary wrote this to explain the verse ” This is a threat and a warning to Christians, chastising them in public, as Qatadah and others said, and Qatadah mentioned this Ayah as evidence” , the Classical muslim commentaries didn’t say allah was addressing a Christian sect , but Christians.I believe its only in the modern Islamic thought that they start to say Allah was not talking about the orthodox christianity but another form of Christianity , because it embracing to Islam to fall in such error . If Ibrahim don’t like what I said in the story , he must go to the Saudi School and go argue with them . In the Quran there was never a mention of the Christian Trinity Father , Son ,Holy Spirit , but when you claim that Christianity view Mary as a God with Jesus and Allah , that is clear view that Allah didn’t understand our belief , or he was not talking to us . It’s is funny to see many things like this in the Islam , for example the Holy spirit is viewed as another name of Angel Gabriel , and God send it to support Jesus . However this Contradict not only Christians , but even Jews who knew that the holy spirit is the spirit of God ( psalm 51:11) . So yes they taught me that Mary is God in Christianity , and the Islamic God himself is the one who talked about it. I never wrote that they taught to us that Mary was part of the trinity , however the text suggest 3 gods.

3- I said I was raised in a Liberal sunni muslim family , became religious in a very young age (salfi school ) , and became a normal Cafeteria Muslim who start to become very liberal as he was exposed to other cultures and new ideas . I didn’t attack your Faith , if I wanted too I could list many reasons of why Islam is a false , however , I was just sharing my journey(as it is ) , you see if you follow your reasoning you will find that the Quran stole stories from fabrication books , such as infancy gospels which are fabrication and date to the 3rd centuries , so yu should ask yourself , how can God mention an fabrication story in his book , for example Jesus created bird , or the story of mary and the palm tree which is stolen from a book( Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew) which date to the 6th century?

The Quran made a very huge mistake about Moses and the samiri.
read more here :-

and I can go talk about how the Quran mixed between the virgin Mary (Maryam) and Miriam the Daughter of Imran (Amram) and the sister of Moses and Aaron making them one person !! yes of course muslims can ran away with it and try to recover the error , but it is so clear to see that Allah made a huge mistake !
just type Mary the daughter of Amram in read it in answering-islam.org (the link is blocked in my country because they don’t want others to see the truth about islam here)

. and I can continue to show why this religion is ” FAKE’ . Yet I never wrote the story for debating my reasoning , it’s only to see the hands of God , in my journey. So in conclusion to this point , I never attacked your faith in my story , I mention the fact as I saw them in my life , however it is very common in the west to see (another Islam ) .Suddenly , Saudi Arabia does not represent Islam and Muslims in the west do !!

4- I think this point show extra evidence about how muslims view others . even if you don’t agree , at least try to understand , however since Islam only teach you about being blind, how about viewing your own religion in this point , the Arabic historian Jawad Ali , talks about many Kabba’s in arabia and some list them as many as 23 in pre-islamic Arabia , while your tradition says Abraham built it , but there was record of mecca before the 5th century , and the kabba before the 6th century. now you bow to it 5 time a days , even though it’s only an idol , however you can’t see how you adopt pagan practices and claim that God is pleased with it, look what is the black stone according to your religion

*The Black Stone is God hand

Mohammed said :- “The Black Stone is the right hand of God on earth,”

The Black Stone forgive sins

Ibn `Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Touching them both (the Black Stone and Ar-Rukn Al-Yamani) is an expiation for one’s sins.” (At-Tirmidhi, Sunan, hadith no. 959

*The black stone will talk

Ibn ‘Abbas said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said concerning the Stone: “By Allah, Allah will bring it forth on the Day of Resurrection, and it will have two eyes with which it will see and a tongue with which it will speak, and it will testify in favour of those who touched it in sincerity.”

and here is a small gift from sunni book Tirmidhi about intercession of Saints ‘Uthman ibn Hunayf, that a blind man came to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) and said, “I’ve been afflicted in my eyesight, so please pray to Allah for me.” The Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) said: “Go make ablution (wudu), perform two rak’as of prayer, and then say:
“Oh Allah, I ask You and turn to You through my Prophet Muhammad,

the Prophet of mercy; O Muhammad (Ya Muhammad), I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight [and in another version: "for my need, that it may be fulfilled. O Allah, grant him intercession for me"].”
The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) added, “And if there is some need, do the same.”

5- as for muslims don’t hate jews , maybe its true that you don’t hate them , however God hate them . and from the first chapter of the quran which you read 5 times a day while you pray . on verse 7
The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace , not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians)

I think the hatred from islam towered the jews is everywhere . just look what mohammed said about them which many muslims take those word serious to this day
Sahih Bukhari Hadith Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176: Narrated by ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar: Allah’s Apostle said, “You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, ‘O ‘Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.’”

and yes they are called the brothers of pigs and monkeys in many of the Friday prayer because the Quran called them like that. if you don’t like what I said , go and disagree with your follow muslim brothers

one different I notice between Islam and Christianity , when I go to a Church I here prayer for peace for the world , in Islam I hear prayer against the jews and Christians !!

Ibrahim Robinson January 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thank you. I appreciate Steve allowing my comment and will continue to present my points in an irenic tone. And thanks for your reply Michael. Truth always deserves a good airing.

In my opinion Michael you do attack Islam both in your testimony and your last reply hence my response. Islam is not a fake religion; monotheists worship God through prayer, works of charity and fasting. That my friend is my religion, yours and Steve’s. Israelite, Arabian and Greco-Roman monotheism are siblings.

The Catholic Church at the Second Vatican Council in the Nostra Aetate document asserts:
“The Church regards with esteem also the Muslims. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all-powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has spoken to men.”

Pope John Paul II addressing a Muslim audience stated: “We believe in the same God, the one and only God, the living God, the God who creates worlds and brings creatures to their perfection” (What Dialogue Means for Catholics and Muslims, US Conference of Catholic Bishops, http://www.usccb.org/seia/brunett.htm).

The Catholic Catechism #841 : The Church’s relationship with Muslims.
“The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place among whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.”

As a matter of historical record Saudi Arabia presently follows puritanical Wahhabism which is considered to be ultra-conservative and heretical by many. Hilali – Khan’s official Saudi translation of the Qur’an Surah 1:7 is unique in ascribing (in brackets) God’s wrath as being upon the Jews. There is no justification for this in the Arabic text nor is this followed by any of the Qur’an translations or commentaries I know. I concede the existence of contemporary antisemitism across the Arab world. Much of this is fueled by anti-Zionist sentiment and the displacement of the Palestinians. Tensions are running incredibly high as we all know. Note that there were almost a million Jews living peaceably in the Arab world prior to 1948; now there are virtually none. I recall the sharp objection by Arab bishops at the Second Vatican Council to the softening position expressed toward Jews and Judaism in Nostra Aetate. It isn’t necessarily a Muslim dispute here; it’s an Arab-Israeli dispute.

Muslims and Jews, have in fact, had a good relationship throughout history most notably in Moorish Spain and in the Ottoman Empire. The latter accepted the entire Jewish population of Spain expelled by Catholics at the Reconquistador. There are many good books proving this such as Bernard Lewis’ ‘The Jews of Islam.’ Furthermore, there are innumerable books about Islamic history, philosophy and theology equal in depth to the entire Catholic tradition. Contemporary Wahhabism is but a thin slice of the pie.

It is well known that the early Muslim community prayed toward Jerusalem, in the direction of the ‘Foundation Stone’ towards which the Jews still pray. Praying in the direction of Mecca is not idolatry, but simply a unifying principle. To be honest I’m not particularly interested in hair-splitting over biblical or Quranic “errors”; I am not a fundamentalist or a literalist. Random hadiths fired at me or supposedly discrediting quotes by long dead Popes have little to do with my theological method. I would rather learn about the great theological schools of Judaism, Islam and Christianity and make my mind up from there. I’m more interested in my membership of the Oxford Islamic Studies Online (http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com) than fundamentalisms.

The big question for us all is whether the Palestinian holy man Jesus the Nazarene is ‘the Second Person of the Trinity’, viz. is the Most High GOD. There is nothing worthy of worship except for God so getting this right is of enormous importance.

Michael January 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Thank you for your response , which I believe little of them have to do with your orginal comment , however I am happy to share my thoughts with you :-

* First I will talk about whabism whom you said ”considered to be ultra-conservative and heretical by many” it’s funny that you called wahabism a hertics! this is really funny , because wahabbism is part of Shaikh al Islam (the Shaikh of Islam) ibn Taymieah who follow Hanbali School , so to call them a hertics , when they are the most pure islamic sect because they follow only the Quran – hadith , and the early islamic doctrines ,not traditions of man (which islam has many) , is like Mormon calling Catholics or protestants Heretics! all what they believe is not invented but rotted in Mohammed practices and sayings . I am not sure if you mean by most Muslims , Westerners Muslims , who want to make new islam(like the Oxford one :D) ?

The term Wahabi was first used by shia muslim to identify those sunnis who are taking islam seriously , because sunnis in saudi think of shia as infidels because they pray to saints and pay respect to the grave of their saints which contradict mohammed last saying before he died
When the Messenger of Allah was close to death, he covered his face with a cloth, and then when it became difficult for him to breathe, he uncovered his face and said:
“May Allah curse the Jews and Christians who took the graves of their Prophets as places of worship – do not imitate them.” ,

while the sunnis of egypt hold a lot of shia practices from the old ages so they didn’t see problem of paying a visit to a saint tomb and for this reason they don’t call shia infidels since they themselves fall under that tradition and went under allah curse according to mohammed since they built mosques on the tomb of the saints and go and touch the graves, so Wahabism(and Salfis) are Sunnis who take Islam seriously

. but after 9/11 the term in the west start to grow as if wahabism is not sunni islam , however this is not true at all . and non of the major shaikhs in the Islamic world from Yousef al Qardawi – to the shaikhs of al Azhar , said that wahabis(Fundemantel Sunnis) are Heretics . only those who are called Suffies (who follow the Tradition of man not the teachings of early Islam) and the Shias are the ones who don’t like the Wahabi movement . since the wahabies exposed their practices as non Quranic , or never rotted in the hadith. while I totally agree with Ibrahim that there are more peaceful forms of Islam and the Islamic Tradition is so rich (specially at the Time of the Abbasian Caliphate when the religious Shaikhs such as ahmed bin hanbil were thrown to jail because they were against Science and knowledge and criticizing religious text )

I am sorry Steve but take what this guy is saying seriously , he is suggestion that Islam in Saudi (which is the biggest supporter of islamic organizations in the world) is heresy, the whole gulf countries under heresy , Pakistan is under heresy , Algeria is full of Hersey (where a whole war happen there between the Islamist and the government) Egypt is heresy( Salfies won 30% of the latest egyptian election while the muslim brotherhood won 40% ) Sudan is heresy(sharia law is practice there), and those are some of the biggest islamic Countries in the World. I didn’t mention Iraq and Iran since those are Shia

* as for the quotations from the Vatican 2 council and the Catechism of the Catholic Church , yes I totally agree with you , this is another reason why I admire the Catholic Church , since it don’t condemn people like islam do , it study religions and recognize the goodness in it even though they are not the fullness of the truth . Islam teach that there is one God , a creator and merciful , and that they ” Profess ” that they follow the faith of Abraham , as jimmy akin , a catholic Scholar explained it :- They “profess to hold the faith of Abraham.” The operative word here is “profess”—they claim to hold the faith of Abraham. In reality, their faith is an imperfect version of the faith that comes from Abraham, but they are trying to follow in the footsteps of Abraham, and the Council gives them credit for that.

the passages you quote from the catechism was talking about those who did not receive the Gospel
So you should read it from the begging to know it’s context since the Church teach no salvation outside the Church. , and JP2 wrote more than that ,he said :-

“…the God of the Koran…is…a God who is only Majesty, never Emmanuel,
God-with-us. There is no room for the Cross and the Resurrection”

“Whoever knows the Old and New Testaments, and then reads the Koran, clearly
sees the process by which it completely reduces Divine Revelation. It is impossible
not to note the movement away from what God said about Himself, first in the Old
Testament through the Prophets, and then finally in the New Testament through
His Son. In Islam, all the richness of God’s self-revelation which constitutes the
heritage of the Old and New Testaments, has definitely been put aside.”

http://archive.catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0207bt.asp this is a good website to read about how to understand the quotations you mentioned

* Can I claim that Hinduism is a fake religion ? of course not , since it does not have anything to do with my religion or its tradition . it’s completely different system of beliefs and philosophy which contains both good things and bad stuff. yet Islam makes a lot of claims against Christianity and Judaism , and tied itself to them , like the bahai faith , or the ahmadya islam whom tied themselves to islam . all of those religions are based on an older tradition , Islam claims that it book does not teach error , since it’s the direct word of God , however if you came to a Catholic house (not one like you but a one who knows his tradition) and told him that Jesus created a bird from clay , Allah says, and the Samiri(arabic for the Samaritan) lived at the time of Moses when this was 6 centuries before Samaria was even established , and fulfilling what is written about the liars and the Antichrist by denying that Jesus bought us by his blood , denying that jesus is the son of God ( 2 peter 2:1 , 2 john 2:22) plus seeing you mixing Mary the Virgin with Mary the daughter of Amram , the sister of Moses and Aaron, this catholic he will ask you to leave right away , not only because you religion is FAKE , but it is ANTI-CHRIST Religion , Just think about the stone in Mecca which you think Abraham built it and go read history of Arabia pre- Islamic time , and you will see the truth about how those practices were never part of one True faith , just read Yaqut al-Hamawi, an islamic biographer from the 13th century , in his book Mu’jam Al-Buldan, talk about a kaaba named the Yemenite Kabba , which was destroyed by some sahabi(friend of mohammed) . and as I told you there are many things which clearly show the pagan roots which entered into your practices.

just think about this before claiming you worship the one God According to ibn hisham the sira book , book 1 , page 339 (the Arabic version) 4 people before and at the beginning the time of Mohammed refused to commit Paganism including the Hajj some of those people were Waraka ibn Nawfall ( hanifi who became a hertic christian priest) , zaid bin am bin nufil (claimed to be hanifi and the first to make such claim ) Ubayd-Allah ibn Jahsh( one of the first muslims , but converted to Christianity when he went to Ethiopia , as a result , muhammed married his wife) and Othman bin al hoarith ( a hanifi who became a christian ) and those people contacted mohammed and yet refused to have anything to do with the stone in mecca .

* verse 1:7 is indeed is taking about jews according to Tafsir al-Jalalayn and ibn kather , http://altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=1&tAyahNo=7&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2

you can check it yourself , The problem is , when your prophet says that the lost tribe of jews were transform to rat , what do you expect from the normal muslims ?

The prophet said :- “A group of Israelites were lost. Nobody knows what they did. But I do not see them except that they were cursed and changed into rats, for if you put the milk of a she-camel in front of a rat, it will not drink it, but if the milk of a sheep is put in front of it, it will drink it.”

all of this animlaization of the jews in the islamic tradition plus the history of mohammed with them in madina is the source of hatred

*in Conclusion , I believe in one God , who came down from Heaven and became one of us to take us to him . That is the beauty of the Christian message ,I don’t need a God who don’t want to show himself to his creation ,who ask me to hate others , who claims lies against Christianity , and Judaism . who, in his book that contains his direct words ,makes a huge historical errors and mention fabrication stories as a true once

Peace

Amer Kikic January 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Ibrahim, let me ask you something as a former Muslim. Name one thing in all of Islam that has not been mentioned elsewhere, could not have been made up, or could not have been taken from another source. Mention one, and then talk.

Thank you.

Ibrahim Robinson February 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Amer,
Islam doesn’t claim to be new or unique but simply a corrective revelation. Muhammed is no different or better than the prophets who went before him. Abraham was a monotheist and a muslim, as were all the prophets including the Shema quoting Torah-observant Jesus of Nazareth. A leading Jewish rabbi and historian from the Rabbinical court in Jerusalem is on record as saying that Islam is the oldest religion: humanity’s common religion, the religion of Noah, the religion of Adam. As for what part of Islam ‘could not have been made up’ how do I answer that? Anyone can make anything up. Certainly my theological method does not look for some arcane novelty.

There is One God. The Trinity is not mentioned in any of the books of the Old Testament. The idea that there are three persons that are totally distinct and who are one undivided God is nonsense and Christian libraries are full of holy gobblygook trying to reconcile this blatant absurdity. All of nature and our intellects cry out that there is One God, Unique, Eternal Absolute. He will not share His glory with another. I understand who God is : if you’re praying to Mary, St Martha, St Anthony, clutching medals, kissing dusty old relics and lighting candles to statues something is lost on you.

Considering God alone insufficient is the sympton of idolatry. I am a muslim, a monotheist and a critical thinker.

Anthony February 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Ibrahim,I have read through all your comments,and I can see that though you claim to have been a catholic,you were actually not a catholic.You were lucky to be born into it,but now you are lost.How can you throw yourself into a religion that claims to be peaceful,but always at war with others.
I think you converted into Islam for wrong reasons,and may God forgive you.
We Catholics will continue to believe in the ONE GOD,HIS SON and THE HOLY SPIRIT,thus the trinity,because we have proofs.Also we shall keep on honouring the real MARY who gave birth to our saviour,and all the saints who made christianity survive through all the centuries of your hatred and lies.
You can’t even challenge one thing about your religion that Michael wrote about,because it’s all true about islam being a religion of hatred and also paganistic.You can’t see it now,but I’ll keep praying that you see it,the same as all others who have converted into it.
You also talked about the catholic church committing many attrocities against mankind,which religion hasn’t done so?Though am not proud of that,the church has always apologised on those sins.Has Islam apologised for theirs?If you don’t know,Islam was the reason for slavery in Africa.The Islamic traders came to catch africans and sold them as slaves.Those who weren’t sold were the ones who converted to Islam,And if you argue that majority of Africans are moslems,it’s because they were sold into accepting the religion and following it blindly.Many are moslems,but don’t like the religion.They profess it because if they don’t they will be killed.Is this a religion that cares for another?
You’re a lost soul,and you’re the people JESUS is calling right now.

timm willard March 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

It seems like ibrahim has no concrete points..cant defend yourself as far as i can weigh.and i can see you are also in doubt..do your research properly.

Eve April 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM

@Ibrahim Robinson
All you can say is that God is one- That we should only consider if Christ is the Son of God alone. Muslims like to reduce the debate into this simplistic question because they know they cannot win it any other way- There simply is no evidence for Mohamed’s claim to prophethood or for the claims that the Quran is Divine revelation.

So I agree,lets only consider this matter- God is one. I agree with you- he’s one.Now tell me, why should I become a Muslim because of that? Does Islam have a copyright to this belief? Wwas it thefirst to teach it? is it the only one that does? If I start a religion now and teach as the first truth that God is only one, he has no partners, he alone to be worshipped. Does that make my religion and the rest of the nonsense that I add to it, a true religion? Why should i not become a Jew? Why should I become a Muslim? Muslims know that their whole faith stands on the claims that Mohammed made about himself- That he got a revelation, dictated by an angel fromGod.They know that they cannot prove anything about Mohamed’s claim to prophet-hood,so they want to deflect attention away. They start proving that God is one- But that is not your property.Many religions teach this- Why should I become a Muslim because of it?

The catechism of the catholic church says this

III. CHRIST JESUS — “MEDIATOR AND FULLNESS OF ALL REVELATION”25

God has said everything in his Word

65 “In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son.”26 Christ, the Son of God made man, is the Father’s one, perfect and unsurpassable Word. In him he has said everything; there will be no other word than this one. St. John of the Cross, among others, commented strikingly on Hebrews 1:1-2:

In giving us his Son, his only Word (for he possesses no other), he spoke everything to us at once in this sole Word – and he has no more to say. . . because what he spoke before to the prophets in parts, he has now spoken all at once by giving us the All Who is His Son. Any person questioning God or desiring some vision or revelation would be guilty not only of foolish behavior but also of offending him, by not fixing his eyes entirely upon Christ and by living with the desire for some other novelty.

There will be no further Revelation

66 “The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ.”28 Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called “private” revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ’s definitive Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history. Guided by the Magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium knows how to discern and welcome in these revelations whatever constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.

Christian faith cannot accept “revelations” that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfillment, as is the case in certain non-Christian religions and also in certain recent sects which base themselves on such “revelations”.

-Please note the last part, Here it is again: CHRISTIAN FAITH CANNOT ACCEPT “REVELATIONS” THAT CLAIM TO SURPASS OR CORRECT THE REVELATION OF WHICH CHRIST IS THE FULFILLMENT, AS IS THE CASE IN CERTAIN NON-CHRISTIAN RELIGIONS AND ALSO IN CERTAIN RECENT SECTS WHICH BASE THEMSELVES ON SUCH “REVELATIONS”.

So please don’t distort what the Catholic Church teaches about Islam (She teaches that it is false)- The Church only teaches that Muslims worship One God, which is true, and that we should have good relations with them, which is true, and that they profess/say they follow Abraham- Which they do profess that they do, but their claim is not factual- Never, ever does the Catholic Church even hints that Islam religion is true.

Christy May 22, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Michael, I am absolutely touched by this story. I don’t know if you are still in Saudi Arabia; my prayers are that you will be able to publicly worship Christ and receive the sacraments in Saudi Arabia one day soon. We Westerners have no idea how blessed we are to worship Christ in freedom. My prayers are with you, and one day I hope to shake your hand in heaven in the presence of our Lord.

Your sister in Christ,
Christy

Estrella September 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I am so glad that another muslim has seen the truth. I had been praying for years now for muslims to see the truth and turn to Jesus Christ. Jesus does answers prayers. Thanks you Lord.

Nimr October 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM

A reminder to my brother Ibrahim:
“And the servants of the Beneficient Allah are they who walk on the earth in humbleness, and when the ignorant address them they say: Peace.” -(verse 63, Surat Al-Furqan)

Daniel October 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM

“Peace be with you” as the Risen Lord said, i say to you all

The day is quite near as our savior Lord longed for-
“I am the good shepherd and I know my sheep, and am known by my own……….
And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring and they will
hear my voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. Jn 10: 14-16

“That all should honour the Son(Jesus) just as they honor the Father(God)” Jn5:23

Mathew 28:19-20
“Go therefore and make desciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and
of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

PROUD TO BE CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN’S, the followers of Lord Jesus Christ the true ‘Children of God’ with the right received.

Sean December 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Michael your testimony was enthralling.

I’m sorry that you had to deal with the arrogance of Ibrahim within the comments of your testimony page.

As you already know his attitude is very typical of Westerners who convert to Islam but all the same you handled him with respect and might I say expertise.

Michael you clearly pointed out that many stories within the Quran were derived from bogus Gospels written in the latter centuries. Ibrahim needs to ask himself in an honest manner how they ended up there and not just blindly trot out the usual Islamic reply that the Quran was revealed to correct earlier revelations. What a pile of junk that response is.

Come on Ibrahim be honest with yourself and don’t be afraid to come back to the Catholic church.

I know of one former Catholic who converted to Islam only later to go back to Catholicism. You wouldn’t be the first Ibrahim nor would you be the last. Might I add she too is an expert in Islam and walked the walk by marrying a Muslim and living in an Islamic country for going on a decade.

I myself like a growing number no longer believe the Muhammad according to Islamic tradition ever existed.

The historical evidence for his historicity and the contents of the Quran itself make it highly unlikely.

Anyway best wishes for the future Michael. You’re a credit to the Catholic faith.

Eleana March 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Michael, I was very much moved by your story to the point that brought me to tears. As part of the RCIA team in my church I can understand how you felt/feel about the Trinity and the Virgin Mary. I am a craddle Catholic, but for everybody (mostly protestant) who come to the Inquiry Period of RCIA is very hard to understand the concept of the Trinity and the veneration of the Virgen Mary. But probably the hardest part for them is to finally come to the church to learn about the Catholic Faith as they churches were not only anti-catholic, but taught a lot of misconceptions on what the Catholic Religion teaches.
As you said tradition existed before the Bible, but you will also find our tradition in the Bible. I will pray for you! God Bless You!!!!

Sean May 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Michael, as a Catholic, it’s always beautiful to know souls are being guided home into our beautiful faith where Jesus is truly present, and I pray that you persevere in faith, and that goes to Ibrahim too- whatever faith he has decided for himself.

The key to being Catholic is so easy- Fasting, Prayer and focusing on the New Testament which literally answers the Old. Only through these means will everyone understand the life and suffering of Christ, as well as all Catholic saints who were Christ like in their way of living. Only through prayer will all Christians and lukewarm Catholics truly understand the heavy importance of Mass and the Sacraments within the Catholic Church; and everything else in between, such as the intercession of the Saints, the role of Mother Mary, the Divine Trinity and even Purgatory. God answers every question in a way that is tailored and personalised to our understanding in accordance to our personality- but only if we seek it in fervour spirit.

Ibrahim, we all stem for from the one God of Abraham, but let’s see what differentiates Christianity from Islam.

Ishmael was conceived through Hagar by Abraham, through the will of sinful flesh. Islam in my opinion does show snippets of God’s Grace, but it seems to be that the koran is more of a dictatorial guide on living a good life, though it doesn’t necessarily try to end the earthly attachments that bind people to this world. Islam’s interpretation of God is an angry God who will only rightly forgive on certain grounds and conditions; analogy) A loving father who dictates to his children on how to live their lives with a set of rules due to distrust.

On the other hand, Isaac was promised to Sarah and Abraham through Gods divine intervention. His ultimate descendant died for the sins of mankind on the Cross and redeemed the whole world as part of God’s greater plan. In fact throughout time, Jesus spoke about God’s Kingdom, noting that earthly possessions are all they are; earthly. Also Christianity’s interpretation of God is that his love is unconditional- knowing mankind’s flawed nature, God loves us whether we love him or not; analogy) a loving father who provides set rules, but trusts his children to abide by them by allowing them to make their own choices.

God bless us all.

Dino June 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM

BLESSED BE JESUS TRUE GOD AND TRUE MAN…….Jesus is the true light of the world and the Almighty the Word made Flesh…..Catholic Christianity since 33AD