Obama Gives Catholics One Year to Learn to Violate their Consciences

by Steve Ray on January 21, 2012

Obama and Sebelius announce requirements that violate Catholic teaching and consciences

This morning President Obama called New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan to break the news. (Announced by www.CatholicVote.org)

Secretary of Health and Human Services and pro-abortion Catholic Kathleen Sebelius just announced that the proposed mandate requiring all insurance plans to pay for contraception, sterilization and some abortion drugs is official — and Catholics cannot escape.

…and the fig-leaf exemption for religious groups will not be modified, apart from allowing some groups an additional year to comply.

Cardinal-designate Timothy M. Dolan responded minutes ago, saying: “In effect, the president is saying we have a year to figure out how to violate our consciences.”

Beginning August 1, 2012 (less than eight months from today), the insurance premiums we pay, including the insurance premiums paid by Catholics for employees of churches and schools — will be used to cover drugs and procedures that are in direct conflict with the teachings of our Church.

Cardinal-designate, Archbishop Timothy Dolan opposes Obama!

That’s right. Our government will now force us to pay for insurance coverage for birth control, sterilization and even some abortion drugs.

President Obama ignored the organized efforts of Catholics across the country, including bold statements from the Bishops, university presidents (including Notre Dame’s Rev. Jenkins), and even his Catholic allies like Sr. Carol Keehan.

Instead, President Obama stood with his real friends — Planned Parenthood.

Make no mistake, this decision is a direct attack on you, our Church, and the religious liberty of all Americans.

Just yesterday, Pope Benedict XVI addressed the bishops from the United States who were completing their “Ad Limina” visit in Rome. The Holy Father specifically cited the “grave threats” to the freedom of the Church in America, and urged the Catholic community to respond, especially with “an engaged, articulate and well-formed Catholic laity.”

He’s talking to you and me. The Holy Father’s brief address is a must read (link below).

Catholics arrested in China. Wake up America!

Finally, today marks exactly one year from Inauguration Day. In exactly 12 months, America will welcome a new president, or usher in four more years of Barack Obama and his assault on our liberties. This irony is not lost on us.

For on a day such as this, we realize that elections indeed have consequences. The Catholic vote must rise up like never before.

Father Walter Nagle’s Excellent Blog:

Mark Shea Chimes in “RESIST THE TYRANT

U.S. Bishops Vow to Fight HHS Edict

Read the Holy Father’s Address to the US Bishops:

Read the text of the HHS Announcement:

Peter January 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I sent the USCCB an email after Archbishop Dolan’s video post. Maybe it’s not too late for the American Bishops to begin to galvanize Catholics into a realization of what Mr. Obama and the Democrats are really about and that it is not anti-Catholic to vote against them. I really have to rebuke the Bishops for waitng more than 3 years to come to a realization that Mr. Obama is after the Christian soul. They have been so gullible and naive about this man that it is incredible and will in the end, result in a rollover for the forces of moral evil. Who is so naive that they don’t know that homosexual marriage (sic) is next? Government funded abortions? Hate speech laws? Only the American Bishops are so naive and the ones that aren’t are treated like pariahs by their brethren bishops (e.g. His Excellency Fabian Bruskewitz). It’s sickening.

Jan January 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Peter, I have to disagree. The Bishops are not naive, they are weak (no, not all, but most). The laity are not being shepherded – illegal aliens and the homosexual community are. But the sad thing is, it seems to only be their resident status or “rights” to be gay that are being addressed. No one talks much about saving souls anymore – only bodies.

God bless.

Debra January 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The Bishops have been all over this from the beginning, as they were with the developments in the health care act as Congress hammered it out. The problem is not their failure to take a strong stand. The problem is that Catholics, sadly, in many cases very prominent Catholics, aren’t listening to them.

Carol January 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I don’t think it is very Christian of you both to criticize a man of the cloth. The Blessed Virgin Mary warned us about speaking ill of her holy consecrated priests; so as a Catholic Christian please don’t attack the only brave men we have out of so few men who volunteer their lives to bring us the Eucharist; without them we wouldn’t have the REAL presence of the body and blood of Our Saviour Jesus Christ. If you REALLY want to make a difference in the world stop being an armchair quarterback and go out and march into the streets to advocate for Life tommorrow in SF, CA or in DC on Monday and stop breeding hate covertly on the Internet. Here is an exerpt from LifeNews that might get you off the couch and marching for MANY diversely good reasons, among them the fact that many vaccines are created with cell lines that originated from an aborted fetus. Cell lines MRC-5 and WI-38 are common cell lines used to produce vaccines for rubella, polio, hepatitis A and chicken pox. MRC-5 was developed from lung cells from a 14-week-old male fetus that was electively aborted in 1966. The WI-38 line was derived from a female fetus that was aborted in 1964–For the love of God I don’t know how or why our FDA has allowed this. especially since the procedure of abortion wasn’t even legal in our nation until 1973!

Gabriel January 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

The battle lines are drawn. Where’s my gun?

Vincent January 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM

While I do agree with you on the importance of energizing the Catholic vote, just for whom should we do so? We have a dearth of candidates that could adequately sum up the Catholic stance. While the Republicans do oppose birth control, almost every other plank in their platform screams of cynicism and greed, and a lack of compassion that is almost completely against the witness of the Gospels. And the Democrats are not much more supportable from a Christian perspective either, with their support of birth control and ever more secular bent.

Either way, I will be violating my conscience if I vote for either one of the major parties, and the lesser parties that could receive my vote likely won’t be on the ballot. I am sincerely curious as to what road or path we should follow or make when faced with this quandary.

Jan January 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Surely Carol, you are not advocating that our Bishops be unaccountable?

As for prominent Catholics not listening, why should they? They certainly don’t fear excommunication. Of course I would rather see them obeying the Church, but take Nancy Pelosi, for instance. Abp. Niederauer would have sent a huge message had he excommunicated her but she continues to be a source of scandal. What are the rest of us to think?

I don’t appreciate being accused of breeding hate. My comment was not hateful nor innappropriate.God bless.

Cris Ortiz January 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

As for me and my family, we will support and vote, for the candidate who does not advocate the murder of children.

Phil January 22, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Vincent, it’s not true that voting either way violates your concience.
One way mandates and supports what is morally wrong.
One way does not governmentally support what is right… but leaves the way open for non-government to take up the slack.

From a Christian point of view, the choice therefore should be clear.

fiel alamodin January 22, 2012 at 4:20 AM

A LOUSY PRESIDENT OBAMA BIN LADEN NOW A DICTATOR. CATHOLICS DON’T GIVE IN TO HIM! HE’S JUST WHIMSICAL,HIS LAST DAYS WILL COME.

Ronda Peek January 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That’s sad , that the president backs planned parenthood and the history of pp hood is that the lady who started it with the idea of hurting the black population .She believed in the same evil the nazis did to the jews.

Sheila January 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

If you offer health insurance in the USA, your policy must cover ALL aspects of womens health. Yes ALL.

I had to get a hysterectomy back in 97 due to horrible health issues. Had I worked for a catholic church, I wouldnt have had to pay out of pocket for that procedure. How is it fair that because its considered sterilization, I would have been made to suffer because I couldnt afford a necessary treatment?

How about taking the pill for female regulatory issues? Yea, that wouldnt be allowed either because its used for birth control.

Im sorry but I disagree. The White House finally has done something that protects womens health.
And yes, I am pro-life but these procedures arent just used for killing babies.

Timothy January 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM

This choice is clear, Obama voted NOT to declare human life on babies born alive after abortion procedures and voted against banning the barbaric practice of “Partial Birth Abortion”. He is an abortion president just like Clinton was. Abortion is their battle flag. It is sick that so many of us citizens sit by and allow the slippery slope of abortion to continue. We sat by and allowed a completely inept man take over the most powerful office in the world. And now we are suffering the fulfillment of his agenda. None of the candidates are perfect but two are and have always been pro life, Santorum and Gingrich. Whom ever of the two wins we need to get behind that one and help him win so we don’t have four more years of this incompetent president Obama.

Rachael January 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM

There are ethical ways of handling “female regulatory issues” that do not include the use of hormonal contraceptives. In fact, doing so does not correct the problem but only puts a band-aid on the symptom.

The health risks and aborteficient properties of hormonal birth control far outweigh the benefits.

If a woman has problems with her reproductive health, more doctors should make themselves aware of Napro Technology. http://www.naprotechnology.com/

Charlie Patin January 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Sheila, I’m in agreement with you. Of course I’m a recovering Catholic. Was one for nearly 70 years until I saw the light. The Catholic Church is as corrupt as any government. It wants what it wants and damn the rights of others. This is exactly why some won’t vote for a Catholic for President. I’m with Obama all the way.

Jason January 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

If this is such a huge issue for Catholics, I hope you also display similar outrage and organize yourselves to oppose your tax dollar supporting war and the death penalty. Not quite as sexy as abortion, but true to your philosophy.

Tony January 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

It’s funny when the religious liberty of Americans is mentioned, because the Catholic church is the same church that says that only the christian views of marriage should be legal in our government…THAT doesn’t seem like religious liberty to me. I’m a Catholic, but the church has to stop being so hypocritical for me to align with it when it comes to political issues. I’m also an intelligent person, and reason (including protecting the health of women) are what I think about in an election. Catholics, if you don’t want people to use the pill or get abortion, then persuade them not to, but religious freedom is about letting people chose because not everybody shares the same religious beliefs, and not everybody employed by the Catholic church and on their health insurance is Catholic.

Lastly what does that picture of China have to do with anything…if you only try to play on people’s emotions and not logic, it will come back and bite you eventually.

Tony January 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

@Charlie…you just have to separate the religion from the people ruining…or was it running….the religion. I love the Catholic faith. I just know that any religions that are lead by humans are bound to make mistakes.

Pat January 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It troubles me to see the current stat of Catholicism. As a young adult, who grew up attending Catholic school, I have witnessed a continuous deterioration in our faith which drives young intelligent people out of Church on Sundays. We continue to focus on politics instead of focusing on God. I am pro-life, but let me be clear, there is not a single person in the world who is “pro-abortion”. The term “pro-abortion” is a gimmick. Pro-choice is much, much different. Though I don’t believe abortions are right, I will personally never have to make that decision. I do not have the right to tell a woman who was raped that she must keep that child. Things are not black and white. I think the Church needs to refocus on teaching people to love God, and be a good person. Good people do not hate, good people do not judge those who are different, good people are not hypocrites. The same men saying homosexuality is a sin, which I do not agree with, were the same men participating.

I miss the days when going to Church made me feel good. Now, when I attend i feel like a child being scolded. Unfortunately, I have studied the Church’s history and know of the sins committed.

I think we have too much to fix within our Church to be worrying about any external issues.

Tony January 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM

@Pat…I agree with most of your points. Just to clarify are you saying you do not agree with homosexuality or you do not agree with homosexuality being a sin. I hope for your argument it is the latter because if it is the former you are brainwashed by church leaders as badly as the earliest posts.

Peter January 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I went to 7:30 Mass this morning and heard about being called. OK. Then my Protestant son was playing piano at the local little Presbyterian Church as their normal pianist, his teacher, was out. First 5 minutes of the sermon were an exhortraion to pary for life, this was Right to Life week, oppose abortion, etc. I have not heard that much on abortion in 58 years at all masses combined. Now, Presbyterian theology is incorrect, but they got this right and we didn’t. I bet Mrs. Sebelius hasn’t heard any more about the subject in Mass than I have. Heard nothing at Mass and the Walk for Life was when? Yesterday.

This week Michael Voris will point out this flaw and everybody will call him a mean nasty man with no compassion. Wanna bet?

PETER: STEVE RAY HERE. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN GOING TO MASS? MY SON WENT TO ONE MASS THIS WEEK AND MY WIFE AND I TO ANOTHER NEARBY PARISH. BOTH HOMILIES WERE ON THE EVILS OF ABORTION AND THE NEED TO STAND UP FOR LIFE. MAYBE YOU NEED TO FIND A PARISH THAT TEACHES AS IT SHOULD. YOU KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF 70′S PRIESTS STILL ALIVE AND PUSHING THEIR PROGRESSIVE MESSAGE BUT THEY ARE DYING OUT AND THE NEW YOUNG PRIESTS ARE MAKING US ALL PROUD.

Tanya January 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I agree with the above statement…it would have been so appropriate and great to hear the message of Pro-Life week at Mass. I didn’t hear it mentioned either and feel this is a terrible over-sight. However, that being said. I love the catholic faith and am saddened that Obama sees that this is the only way.
@ Sheila…your assupmtion that you would have had to suffer because you worked at a Catholic church is wrong. A hysterectomy based on medical necessity is not sterilization and is not something the church would have told you to suffer through. You should be very careful about preaching falsehood as a matter of fact because it really can lead people away from the truth. If you did encounter a priest who told you this..you needed to look further..or better yet consult the catechism. It is well laid out there. God bless

Steve Ray January 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM

PETER (sorry my keypad was set to caps :-):
STEVE RAY HERE.
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN GOING TO MASS? MY SON WENT TO ONE MASS THIS WEEK AND MY WIFE AND I TO ANOTHER NEARBY PARISH. BOTH HOMILIES WERE ON THE EVILS OF ABORTION AND THE NEED TO STAND UP FOR LIFE. MAYBE YOU NEED TO FIND A PARISH THAT TEACHES AS IT SHOULD. OR I ALSO SUGGEST TO PEOPLE TO GET A PROLIFE COMMITTEE STARTED IN THEIR PARISH AND BEGIN TO OPPOSE ABORTION WITH INFORMATION, ANNOUNCEMENTS, MEETINGS WITH YOUR PASTOR AND YOUR BISHOP, ETC.
YOU KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF 70′S PRIESTS STILL ALIVE AND PUSHING THEIR PROGRESSIVE MESSAGE BUT THEY ARE DYING OUT AND THE NEW YOUNG PRIESTS ARE MAKING US ALL PROUD. WE SHOULD NOT BE SILENT AND WAIT FOR OUR PRIESTS. GIVE THEM GOOD INFO, ENCOURAGE THEM, SUPPORT THEM.
BY THE WAY, I CAME FROM AN EVANGELICAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH THAT REFUSED TO ALLOW ME TO MENTION ABORTION BECAUSE THE PASTOR WAS NEUTRAL ON ABORTION AND MANY IN HIS CHURCH WERE ABORTING. YOU WENT TO ONE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH THAT MENTIONED ABORTION BUT FOR EVERY ONE THAT DOES THERE ARE NINE THAT DON’T. AT LEAST IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IT IS A ROCK-SOLID TEACHING “ABORTION IS MURDER AND SIN.” A PRIEST MAY OR MAY NOT TEACH IT FROM THE PULPIT, BUT IT REMAINS AS THE THUNDERING TEACHING OF THE CHURCH.

Danielle January 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM

@Pat-If you are going to church to feel good then you are going for the WRONG reason! Church is to focus on the sacrafices of Christ on your behalf and for YOU to focus on your shortcomings in your attempt to live a Christ-like life.

Perhaps the abortion idea it’s not black and white but let us all be honest here, the majority of abortions performed are NOT people who are raped but rather people who were IRRESPONSIBLE and had unprotected sex and do not want to accept the consequences of their actions. This is a MAJOR problem in our society and not just in the abortion aspect but in all aspects of life!!!

@ Tony-YES, homosexual behavior IS a sin!

Tony January 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM

lol @Danielle. Passing judgement is mentioned as a sin throughout the new testament…Why can’t you see that. So what if Pat goes to Church to feel good. It’s not your decision to make. Also Danielle Catholics can’t have protected sex…that would be a sin in and of itself. Since you mentioned protected sex, I’m assuming you think that’s an acceptable practice. any form of contraceptive IS ALSO a sin.

Danielle January 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I’m not passing judgement against Pat. I’m simply stating the reason for going to church is not to always leave feeling good, but to realize what our job is in this world as a Christian. Jesus suffered for us, I dint think that felt good.

My statements about abortion were not about whether I agree or disagree with unprotected vs protected sex, but rather to point out that ABORTION, the KILLING of an innocent child, is used most often so that people can not have to responsibly deal with their actions. Sex today is not what His created it to be, it has become such a leisure activity therefore leading to more unwanted pregnancies and more people resorting to abortions.

Danielle January 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Nicely stated Steve Ray!

Sheila January 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM

First to Peter – The March for Life is TOMORROW (Monday the 23rd)

Tanya – If the employer who offers specific healthcare doesnt cover the procedure, then it wouldnt be covered. Period. Just like talking the pill for reasons other than birth control arent covered.

I dont need to consult a priest NOR the catechism for my healthcare issues PERIOD. I will not have my healthcare decisions made by someone NOT in the healthcare field.

And quite honestly, I converted to Catholicism in the 90s, as an adult. And every time the butting in on my rights concerning my healthcare (as well as MANY other issues) makes the news, I am more and more livid.

Trevor January 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM

This is the most overly manipulative piece of writing I have read in a long time. The US is not a Catholic state, it is secular. The US is not a religious state of any kind… it is secular. Trying to force your laws on to the people of America would be like a fundamentalist Muslim government forcing Sharia Law upon us. This is for the betterment of the American population, for the whole of America. The best option for the lot of you, who would rather deprive the American people of the government’s help, would be to move to Ireland where you do not need to worry about such “problems”

Catherine January 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Trevor, you’ve got it backwards. Catholics not wanting to pay for sterilization and birth control is not forcing their beliefs or laws on anyone else. The issue is that the government is taking our money to do something we are morally against. Not wanting to pay for them is not the same as not allowing others to use them, we just think that if someone chooses to sterilize themselves, we shouldn’t have to help pay. Just remember, the issue is WHO is PAYING for it, not whether there is access to it.

Bryan January 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Uhhhh. If your employees have the same beliefs as you, they won’t buy the drugs for birth control. Meaning you won’t have to pay for them. Sounds like a bunch of whining to me.

STEVE RAY HERE: BRYAN, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. CATHOLICS DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR ABORTIONS FOR OTHERS — OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS AGAINST THE MORAL LAW. WE ARE NOT STOPPING OTHERS FROM GETTING AND DOING WHAT WE ARE AGAINST. WE JUST DON’T WANT TO PAY FOR IT OR HAVE IT STUFFED DOWN OUR THROATS. IF YOU WERE OPPOSED TO THE DEATH PENALTY, IT WOULD IRRITATE YOU IF YOU HAD TO PAY FOR THE ELECTRIC CHAIRS. GET IT?

Bryan January 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Steve Ray

I’m saying hire your parishioners. If they believe as you do, you won’t have to pay. Get it?

STEVE RAY HERE: YOUR COMMENTS ARE LUDICROUS AND A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY TRYING TO DISCUSS RATIONALLY WITH PEOPLE WHO EITHER DON’T WANT TO SEE THINGS OUTSIDE THEIR LITTLE BOX OR WHO ARE JUST FOOLS AND WANT TO HAVE ENDLESS STUPID DISCUSSIONS IS SO FRUSTRATING. I HAVE NO FURTHER TIME FOR SUCH FOLLY.

Bryan January 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

And rationally is complaining about not being exempt from the law? Let’s say my belief is being able to walk around in public nude (which it’s not). Thank goodness there are laws that prevent me from doing so. What you are doing is the equivalent of me throwing a temper tantrum because I can’t drop trow in the middle of my grocery store. And that since it’s my belief, I should be exempt from said law. No. Î move to a nudist colony where I’m accepted and noone will tell on me to get me in trouble.

Get it? Nudist colony is to nudists as parishioners are to church employment.

I went to Catholic church every Sunday from birth till I was twelve years old. It’s this close-minded thinking and attempt to ram the religion down everyone’s throat that turned me Agnostic at that age.

But maybe you’re right. Im just ignorant.

STEVE RAY HERE: MAYBE YOU’RE NOT IGNORANT, JUST POORLY EDUCATED. NO ONE AT AGE TWELVE IS READY TO ANALYZE AND MAKE RATIONAL DECISIONS ABOUT THE TRUTH OF A RELIGION. IF SO YOU WOULDN’T HAVE CHOSEN AGNOSTICISM WHICH ALONG WITH ATHEISM IS A DEAD END. I DON’T KNOW YOU WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW IF YOU ARE IGNORANT BUT YOU’VE DONE LITTLE HERE TO DISSUADE ME.

EXEMPT FROM GOOD LAWS, NO. EXEMPT FROM BAD LAWS, YES. LAWS ARE NOT ALWAYS GOOD AND OFTEN HAVE TO BE RESISTED. ONCE IT WAS LAWFUL TO OWN BLACK SLAVES. WOULD I EXPECT EXEMPTION FROM LAWS FORCING ME TO SUBSIDIZE THE OWNING OF SLAVES. YES.
AND I TOO AM GLAD YOU ARE FORBIDDEN TO WALK AROUND NAKED, BUT IF YOU WISH TO YOU CAN MOVE TO SAN FRANCISCO WHERE IT IS NOT ILLEGAL. NO, YOU ARE INCORRECT. I DON’T WANT TO HAVE A LAW WHERE I SUPPORT YOUR BARE BUTT IN THE STORE, NOR DO I WANT TO BE FORCED TO PAY FOR YOUR SUNTAN LOTION TO PROTECT YOUR BUTT FROM THE SUN.

IT IS UNREALISTIC TO EXPECT EVERY CATHOLIC EMPLOYER TO EMPLOY CATHOLICS ONLY. THERE ARE ALSO LAWS AGAINST THAT. AND YOU WOULD PROBABLY BE THE FIRST TO SCREAM DISCRIMINATION IF YOU WALKED IN AND WERE ASKED IF YOU WERE A CATHOLIC AND THEN DENIED THE JOB BECAUSE YOU WEREN’T.

THIS OBAMA LAW IS BAD AND WE WILL RISE UP AGAINST IT. PROTEST AND CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION. IF YOU THINK CATHOLICS WILL BE SILENT FOREVER, IT AIN’T GOING TO HAPPEN.

Bede Baldry January 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

We still have abortions, we still have war, we still have cap. punishment. We are killing all over the place. What can we do? What should we do? Republicans have been in office or in charge a long time and we still have abortions? I think they are just talk?

Jim January 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I believe it is time for us to start praying for our Holy Father, Clergy, Priests, and Religious, for sanctity and faithfulness. For us as laypeople, as well. We are called to imitate our Lord ! A return to frequent confession and daily examination of our conscience will be of great help. Remember what Our Lady of Fatima said: Penance, Penance, Penance!

S January 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM

How can we protest this? Are their any established means to let our outrage be heard?

Kim January 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Jesus: “I have not yet heard one of you mention prayer to me, I, the ruler of all things great and small. This is not your battle. Be not blind, nor asleep. This battle is for your souls. Get on your knees and pray – for you will be led to the slaughter, both born and unborn, if you continue this battle amoungst yourselves. Get your eyes on Me and keep them there. Do not delay.”

STEVE RAY HERE: KIM, THANKS FOR YOUR REMINDER. BUT PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE GOOD FOLKS POSTING HERE ARE MOSTLY ALREADY PRAYING AND SACRIFICING. IT IS ASSUMED. IT IS LIKE SAYING “DON’T FORGET TO BREATH.” WE ARE ALREADY DOING THAT FOR ALL WE ARE WORTH. WE ARE ALSO PRAYING, BUT THANKS FOR THE REMINDER TO DOUBLE OUR EFFORTS IN PRAYER WHILE AT THE SAME TIME PUTTING SHOELEATHER TO OUR APPEALS.

Tony January 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Stevie Ray Vaughn. I get you saying you don’t want to have to pay for it. I do get it…If that is your point, in theorgy it’s a fine point…Unfortunately we all have to pay for things we don’t want to. My taxes pay to let catholic school students ride public school busses. My taxes pay for capital punishment. Why should Catholics be free from this form of payment when we all have to pay for things we don’t want to pay for. I don’t want my taxes to go towards crime prevention because let’s say my religion believes that police use excessive force (completely hypothetical)…Why should I get to say I don’t have to pay for that…so you might say you are arguing so that you don’t have to pay, but you and I know you are arguing so it doesn’t happen, because like I said we all have to pay for things we don’t want to so surely you aren’t arguing that I also shouldn’t have to pay for busses to take catholic students to school, or are you?

Shavaun January 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Tony,

Those CAtholic school kids riding the buses? Their parents also pay the school taxes so those kids are entitled to ride the buses. It’s our choice to also pay CAtholic school tuition.

Jenn January 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I have to say this article got my blood boiling. You are pissed because the bill is forcing you to pay for something against YOUR beliefs. Well MY beliefs are that women should not be subjected to have no protection and prevention against having children that they don’t want. Why should your beliefs have more weight than mine? Beliefs are not a valid argument for something. Facts and Consequences should be the deciders. And Someone please tell me where in the Bible it says women should not use birth control? Men… You honestly have no idea what it is like to have the responsibility of the possibility of carrying a child. And yes I know you donate the sperm but your burden is nothing like the womans. Shame on all those men (because no one who is in charge at the church is allowed to be a woman) trying to deny acess to something they do not even posess. Honestly it is a shame that women have been denied a portion of health care for any reason.

David January 23, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Tony, Catholic schools do not get money for buses – I teach in a Catholic school and we have to raise funds for eveything we do.

Abortion is just sad. No one accidentally gets pregnant and birth control doesn’t ever fail. What happens is the sexual, reproductive act, worked when someone gets pregnant. Society needs to stop acting like a child is a curse and stop trying to encourage our children into being sexually active as a growing/learning experience.

How about this, let’s require all insurance plans to have to pay for fertility care – that’s not covered on my plan and my wife and I would love choldren. Why isn’t Obama screaming to help my wife with her true healthcare issues. The fact is this – abortions and birth control pills ARE NOT healthcare. It is a choice in having a child or not.

The entire Abortion issue isn’t about women’s health, it is about the acceptance of immorality and break down of the family. Where profylactics and abortion abound so does licentiousness. Would Obama proudly walk his daughter into an abortion clinic at 16 and proclaim his heralding act?

Matt January 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM

This is not wanting religious tolerance or freedom, this is wanting special exemption. It is this sort of attitude that, in my opinion, is really hurting the country. Many modern Christians (especially those that lean right) want this to be a Christian nation. This is NOT a Christian nation. I think everyone needs to go back to high school government class to the day they taught the separation of church and state and the 1st amendment. You are not entitled, you have the same rights as every other religion that exists. How about we take this energy and hatred for the loss of life and focus it on getting this country out of war?

Therese Z January 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

matt, how about we get the government to stop encroaching on our consciences? You don’t have to be religious in the slightest to see that human life begins at conception. My biology degree tells me that, and to be asked to use my tax dollars against my will to pay to kill that life disgusts me. Whether you want to kill your child is an argument of the law as it stands, but spend your own damn money killing your own child, don’t use mine.

Geri January 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM

@ Sheila,

You are so wrong about the Catholic teaching on these things. First I have had a hysteroctomy due to cancer and prior to that I went to my Priest because the Dr wanted me to take birth control pills to help with issues. In both instances I had the Church’s approval. The reason was, that is was medically necessary and I was not using either to protect me from pregancy. Please if you are going to say something make sure you know the facts. I do because I have been there.

Donna January 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

My sister posted this on facebook this week…The penalty for disturbing a sea turtle’s eggs is a $20,000 fine and for disturbing a bald eagle egg, a $250,000 fine or up to 2 years in prison! Isnt a sea turtle or bald eagle egg only a “potential bald eagle or turtle”…..just a blob of tissue that will one day be a bald eagle or turtle?

Lynne Walker January 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM

well do something about it next election…because guess what? he is not thru with the Christian faith as a whole…it’s very sad that until something is said or done against us…we should of never voted him in in the beginning..he is an enemy to all Christians !!!

Ashley January 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Honestly, if people are so against it why don’t you just get rid of your health insurance. You will have to pay out of pocket, create an alternate health care plan, or something along those lines, but you wouldn’t be subjected to paying the expenses for sterilization, etc.

I am not Catholic, but I am a Christian. If the items we pay for in our premiums are for a medical reason, I am all for it helping someone. However, I am pro-life. I grew up in a low-income area where the majority of the school was black. I can’t tell you the number of parents who were on welfare and food stamps. Then, since their kids see that (like “Ooo, I can get the government to pay for my food and welfare, etc. I live at home, in high school, am not married, and don’t have a job.”) So many of my classmates went this route. Instead of blubbering on here about something that will now take time to sort through, how about coming up with a way to punsih these “children” who are having “children” who then repeat the process all cuz they see they’re parents not having to put out a dime for food and healthcare. I barely make ends meet myself, and because I make $40 over the limit for food stamps, I can’t get them. While I have a job, I also have my own apt., bills, student loans, etc. to pay for while some of these people who are on food stamps, don’t even try to find a job, or have ever been to college let alone finished high school.

Instead of fussing on here, why don’t you find the root of the problem for people having unprotected sex, pre-marital sex, etc.

STEVE RAY HERE: ASHLEY, YOU ARE A PERFECT CASE FOR WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA AND PROTESTANTISM. GOOD GRIEF GIRL, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Len January 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Planned Parenthood Sales & Marketing, Inc. is the world’s largest and certainly an evil corporation, grossing $2 Quadrillion in blood money in the last four decades. That’s 2000 trillion blood dollars, based on the amount of economic activity one billion children by their life’s end would have contributed to their countries’ economies. The corporation that keeps on ungiving. Add in lost cures for cancer and other debilitating diseases, geniuses, presidents, teachers, scientists and this human capital loss is beyond staggering, worse than any despot or movement in the world’s checkered history.

Former Catholic Sebelius and Gynecologist in Chief Obama are on a mission to destroy more than just America…American exceptionalism and its corresponding freedom has paced so much good in the world. But, like so much of the world, wherein 100 countries are dying because their descendants are not allowed to live and below replacement level, this administration is taking aim at eliminating a whole group of people: blacks.

Jessie Jackson once preached killing his black brothers and sisters in the womb was “black genocide” until he found out you can make a lot more money selling Planned Parenthood Sales & Marketing shares, and keep a bunch for yourself. Mr. Obama prides himself on terminating life before (preborn) and while being born (partial birth abortion). Query PP Research (Guttmacher and Sonless). Today, one in three dead preborn kids are black, yet AfricanAmericans at one time made up 12% or one eighth the population. We only lost 500,000 Americans to end slavery and today we have brought it back by devaluing black fatherhood and enslaving single mother families, in exchange for a victim aristocracy that worships the welfare check over promoting intact families. We take advantage of desperate moms, found with child but with no manly man father to help. Meanwhile, based on 1.5 million aborted youngsters a year, we MATCH the entire Civil War North-South death toll EVERY TWELVE MONTHS in black preborn deaths! Year in year out, we replay, like a sisyphaen tragedy rolling the boulder of Sisyphus up the hill, only to see it roll back for eternity. Yearly, we trade 500,000 dead aborted black children for the misguided idea that slavery has ended with 500,000 dead Union and Confederate soldiers. Before you blast me as a racist (the word second only to “the” in modern usage), MLK’s work will die slowly until black leaders like Jessie Jackson or his son, Miss Brawley’s advocate, Al Sharpton or whomever engages the content of their black character and heritage and stands up for dying black children. The real tragedy of black on black crime in the cities pales in comparison to the preventable devastation of black children dying in the wombs of black mothers under Jessie’s, Al’s and their Democrat handlers gaze. Black deaths IN blackmothers’ tragedy. If they won’t stand up to Planned Parenthood, maybe then Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Condy Rice, Clarence Thomas must be finally recognized for the content of THEIR character, the quality of their voices, and incidentally, the color of their skin, and acknowledged as the true leadership of the black community.
While God rains on the just and unjust, Planned Parenthood reigns over tiny white or black carcasses, equal opportunity destroyers of both. Except, they are fearlessly precise about going after blacks in disproportionate numbers to honor founder Margaret Sanger’s philosophy of killing “useless eaters” and minorities, the imperfect, disabled and poor, much as her disciple Adolph did in another war, separated by only 75 years. Kathleen, you betray your faith, Jessie, you have been found wanting, Al, the writing is on the wall. Barack, in your heart you know. History will not judge any of you kindly for watching as those you profess to protect, perish while snail darters and DC rats go free. God help you for worshipping adulation and dollars, instead of standing up for the defenseless black woman in need and her “huddled mass” of living cells in her womb, which we know today is a live baby, not a glib, glob of tissues. When you could have been the surrogate father to a black child who might have discovered cancer’s cure, you ignored. When you look in the mirror, are you proud of the black heritage of aborted devastation on your shoulders, or will your character’s content emerge and go after the world’s most diabolical $2 Quadrillion evil corporation? Only time will tell. Only time. Only you know. Do it for Latachie Veal or Nicole Williams; dead samples of black mothers who died alongside their black children in an abortuary you support with both your actions and your inaction. What is more debilitating to our African American population: black teens hurting each other, or a desperate black mom killed alongside her innocent black daughter, while being manipulated by the greatest scourge in known history, Planned Parenthood Sales & Marketing kiosks spread like scorched earth locusts across this land and the world. Answer it yourself: if 33% of aborted children are blacks, and their component of the population is only 12%, do you think maybe Jessie Jackson the first (early years, not senior) was right about outrageous black genocide. Our country is burning, while Sanger sings and fiddles. Her organization is the most efficient, racist, genocidal life destroyers in human history. And, the first black president, with the aid of a former Catholic, is facilitating the precipitous decline of half his racial heritage by systematically lowering their proportion in the land of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. May God have mercy on our American soul

Kirsten January 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM

As a 21-year-old woman, I am told I have all sorts of reproductive rights. I am told that I am free to use contraceptives, sterilization, abortifacients, and abortion as means to keep myself from having to go through the “tragedy” of becoming pregnant too early or at all in my life. I say that I am told those things, but really, I am expected to do and use those things, especially contraceptives.

As a Catholic, however, I have been taught and firmly believe that any of those “rights” that I am expected to partake in by the majority of our American society are not only morally wrong (the action is morally wrong, by the way, the person who acts is still beloved by God, should be loved by us, and is not necessarily a bad person, lest I be accused of judging) but also unhealthy; physically, emotionally, as well as spiritually. This is what the Church teaches.

However, almost every time, when it comes out among my non-Catholic friends that I have never, nor do I intend to ever use contraception, I am lectured about being irresponsible, I am accused of being a “cultist” for taking my faith to “extremes”, and I am called ignorant and stupid for believing that contraception is anything other than a wonderful thing. My friends are a product of what they have been taught, of what this country has taught them, and it is not their fault that they react this way. Still, I find it frustrating that these “rights” that we are told we have from a young age have become mandatory or we become freaks of society.

That is not a right. That is social law, which is far too close to becoming a written, national law. We already see the beginnings of it with this mandate. Those who have a moral objection, whose consciences would be betrayed if forced to provide coverage for something not only against Church teaching, but something they truly believe to be harmful for the individual person as well as society as a whole, cannot be asked to submit to this mandate. To do so, would, in fact be going against the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights. We have the right to practice our religion, and part of practicing that religion is being faithful to the Church teachings and not aiding, however against our will, something that flies directly in the face of those teachings.

Contrary to popular thought, this infringes on no one else’s rights. Are there not alternative health care plans out there if you do not have or do not care for the health plan at your work place? And truly, I do not mean to be unsympathetic to these people, because I know and recognize it is an inconvenience for them, but those who work at a Catholic institution chose to work there. Like any job, there are going to be drawbacks, if they are bad enough, you do not take or continue in the job any longer. If those who work at Catholic institutions feel they need coverage for those things the Church cannot morally provide, then it is their obligation to look for another job. This is not a scenario in which the Church was offering the coverage and decided they could do so no longer, they have never offered coverage for contraception, and those employed at Catholic institutions would be informed of this from the start.

This was said by a friend of mine, and I believe it sums up our objections nicely: If Catholics, in general, believe something is wrong or bad, why would we want to say it is okay for someone else to do or have? For example, if I believe that a cup of poison is bad for me and would kill me, should I give that cup of poison to someone else who believes it is just water? I would want to do everything possible to keep that person from drinking it. By requiring Catholics to cover contraceptives, it is like we are saying that it’s okay for something we believe to be “poison” to be given to someone else. Not to mention, it forces us to commit what we believe to be a sin.

This not a matter of being vindictive in the “If I can’t have it, nobody can” way. This isn’t even trying to legalize our morality. This is a matter of the Catholic Church being forced to commit what we believe to be a very great sin. I ask, I plead for those of you who feel that we are merely “whining” to consider again what we are saying.

Jim January 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Jenn, did you know that Christ did not give the Church the authority to ordain women?
If your blood is boiling, chill out! Got issues with Catholic teaching? Well???? Why don’t you check out why she teaches these things? These are teachings of Christ!

COME ON, CATHOLIC’S! STOP COMPLAINING AND BE FAITHFUL!