Can You Spot the Errors?

by Steve Ray on April 24, 2012

This is a typical non-Catholic Creed. It was forwarded by a Catholic asking if they could agree to it in order to get a new job.

What do you think of this creed and could you sign onto it? If you think there are errors, what are they?

screen-capture

Diane May 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM

No. Cannot do. #1 – Bible “only infallible . . .”; #3 “Vicarious death” ??!! #4 Uh – define regeneration.

Bill912 May 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM

The Bible isn’t infallible, it’s inerrant. Infallible means “incapable of making an error”; the Bible is an inanimate object, incapable of doing anything.

Barbara May 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Salvation is by grace alone, through faith and good works.

Sandra April 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I see a problem in #1, #4, #6.

1. The Bible IS NOT the ONLY thing one needs. As it says in 1 Timothy 3: 14 – 15. Catholics indeed believe that it is inspired. But there is a difference between the Bible being authoritative and it being the ONLY authority. It is indeed also infallible. Also you can ask where in the Bible does it give you the Cannon of Scripture? And by the way, what’s inspired is where it starts verse 1 and on… Not the title. The chapter and versus weren’t put in from when they began to write the Scripture, that was put in later on. And NOT everything is written in the Bible because it would become to cumbersome to carry.

2. This one is fine, it’s talking about the Trinity. Only I would ask them if they believe in Bible Alone or Sola Scriptura; I would have to ask where is the word Trinity in the Bible? And how do you know it’s called Trinity and NOT something else?

3. I would say that this is fine, but it leaves out the Holy Spirit even though it is metioned in the following article, if you will.

4. The first sentence to this one is talking about regeneration by the Holy Sprit. I assume they are reffering to baptism. The mistake is in the secomd sentence where it says, “…not as a result of goods works.” So, now they are talking about Faith Alone. Why? Because baptism is a combination of both faith and works. NOT just faith and NOT just works. Protestants use this very commonly. You hear, “If you just believe in Jesus then you will be fine.” Even if they were talking about baptism, you need to invoke the Trinity. “Go to ALL nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”

5. Again you need BOTH faith and works.

6. Sounds to me like predestination. Not Biblical!!! I know a lot of people who would be “considered” saved and yet, they could be on their way to Hell. Sounds like “Once Saved Always Saved”.

7. Not just spiritual unity but also bodily unity. We are the BODY of Christ. There is no “invisble” Church only. It is both visible and invisible.

8. I agree that everyone is created in the image and likness of God from conception till natural death.

There is 1 thing missing from this whole picture….. What about Mary the Mother of God? If it wasn’t for Mary you would have no incarnate Jesus.
I can actually go on and on, but I am going to stop here.

Sandra April 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I should add to #1. The original documents are infallible what we have are inherrent.

Ryan April 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Neat! I didn’t know you could make up your own creeds! That is very, very handy.

No, as a Catholic I could not in good conscience agree to this statement of faith.

Robyn April 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM

1. Error; the Bible is not the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. Alos, technically we say the Bible is inerrant, not infallible.
2. No error, but incomplete; does not say who God is, nor the relationship among the three Persons
3. Reasonable
4. Unclear; could be error (are they repudiating Pelagianism, or embracing the heresy of sola fide?)
5. Incomplete; could be error (are they affirming the necessity of the action of the Holy Spirit for good works, or embracing the Calvinist heresy of the perseverence of the saints?)
6. Reasonable
7. Unclear; could be error (are they recognizing the fact that there is one Body of Whom all Christians are members, or embracing a heresy such as irenism?)
8. Reasonable

rosemary April 28, 2012 at 3:29 AM

1, 2 and 4. Please give answers. Thanks.

rosemary April 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Missed 6. This was a great exercise, to see how words can be mixed up and you miss simple problems. Thanks again.

Aida May 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I was asked to signed such a statement of faith at our local Pregnancy Counseling Center 12 years ago, where I have been volunteering since. Their statement of faith stated amongst other things: “I believe and agree, the Bible is the sole rule of faith and authority.” (paraphrased) I refused to sign it, explained why and advised them I would sign either The Nicene Creed or the Apostle’s Creed. They took it to the board and had a lot of discussion but finally relented in allowing Catholics to sign the Apostle’s Creed as their statement of faith. They did inform me they had previously had other Catholic volunteers sign their statement of faith without a question. I apologized for the Catholics that should have known better.

Frank Riely June 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Isn’t the error that people are signing statements of faith to get jobs?