Free Sacraments Chart (revised at 8:30 AM)

by Steve Ray on May 21, 2012

Clip on image to see or download the whole chart

Free Sacraments Chart
by Steve Ray

Want to know all about the Sacraments in a handy, short reference format? Download this link and print out your own 2-page chart – Seven Sacraments of the Catholic Church. It gives you references from the Bible and the Catechism.

This chart was made to go with my 7 talk series on the Sacraments: Food for the Journey, Weapons for the War. You can purchase this set by clicking here.

I had to fight my way into the Church! In the process I learned a lot about the Catholic truth and the Sacraments.

This series was done in front of a live audience and is presented first from my old Evangelical perspective. I explain what I thought and taught as a Protestant. Then I step to the other podium and argue with my old view and explain the Catholic teaching on the Sacraments. It is full of stories, anecdotes and examples.

Randy July 31, 2007 at 10:23 AM

A handy thing. The question I was wondering about recently does not seem to covered. That is, what sacraments can a deacon perform? I am pretty sure they can perform baptisms and witness marriages. There is no indication of that on the chart. Are there more? Can they do the sacrament of the sick?

The other thing I wondered about is Holy Orders. Is says it is done only once with separate ordinations for deacon and bishop. Are those ordinations not sacramental? What about when somebody becomes pope? Is that another ordination?

Christopher Milton July 31, 2007 at 3:15 PM

I’m no expert, but yes a deacon can baptize and witness a marriage.

And, I don’t think the pope goes through another type of ordination; he simply is elevated to the position. An exception to this is if the pope-elect is not a bishop (any Catholic male can be elected pope, even a layman), at which point he is promptly ordained as Bishop of Rome.

Christopher Milton July 31, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Oh, to whom do I write to get permission to use this as a handout for the Catechism class?

Tom Nourse July 31, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Steve, sorry to point this out but in the Eucharist under “Form” you have “drink from it twice”… otherwise it is great!!!!

Your brother in Christ,
Tom Nourse

Steve Ray July 31, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Chris: Please feel free to copy for your own use and the use of your class. I would only object to someone selling them or promoting them as their own. For you and your class — no problem.

Tom: Thanks for the note about the missprint. I fixed it!

Randy: When a bishop is installed he is not "ordained" — I think the official word is "consecrated." For the other questions, I would check the Catechism quotes provided and see if they answer the questions. If you find out, let us all know :-)

VERONICA August 1, 2007 at 8:03 AM

I have one question that maybe you can help me with…can you tell me what the signifcance is to having the first reading from the old testament and the second from the new testament in the liturgy ? why do we do that? Thanks
Veronica

Dianne Dawson August 1, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Steve and Randy,

There are three orders that are part of Holy Orders: Bishop, Priest, and Deacon. A man is ordained a bishop. The episcopal ordination confers upon the bishop the FULLNESS of the priesthood. If you haven’t ever attended an episcopal ordination I would highly recommend it. As moving as a priestly ordination is, an episcopal ordination is a truly magnificent celebration. The Pope is not ordained because he already holds the fullness of the priesthood – he is (normally) already a bishop.

Steve Ray August 2, 2007 at 8:23 AM

In my chart I only had priest as the minister of baptism. I had neglected to add “deacon.” It is now corrected. I was reminded by a good deacon!

The ordinary minister for baptism is a bishop, presbyter, or a deacon, Canon 861-&1. (You have just “priest”). However, Canon 677, 1-2 of the Eastern code speaks only of a priest as the ordinary minister of baptism, since chrismation, which only a priest can confer, immediately follows baptism in ordinary situations. The deacon may serve only as an extraordinary minister of baptism in cases of necessity (Eastern Rite.) The conciliar directive that deacons confer solemn baptism entered canon law with Paul VI, June 18, 1967.

New Commentary of the Code of Canon Law, pge 1049. Don’t worry, my feelings aren’t hurt.

Deacon Mike Chesley, Saint Patrick Catholic Church, White Lake, Mi, 48386

Steve Ray August 2, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Veronica: We are told in the writings of Justin Martyr (100-165) – the first to ever write about the celebration of the Mass – that they read the memoirs of the apostles and prophets. Since they did not have a closed canon yet, he was basically saying "Each Sunday the priest reads from the Old and New Testaments."

I am sure the reason we do so is because both Old and New Testaments are equally God's inspired word. The New is built on the Old, much like a house is built on a foundation. I usually call the Old Testament the Foundational Testament and the New is the Fulfillment Testament.

The Church has always believed we should know and love both the Old and the New and so she has us read them both in the liturgy.

Tom Nourse August 2, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Steve, the missprint “drink from it” is still there… I would just save it and fix it myself, but can’t.

Thanks!
Tom Nourse

Paul H August 3, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Thanks for this very helpful chart!

I see the “drink from it” error still there, and I also don’t see deacon listed for baptism or marriage. I’m not trying to be nitpicky, but if you could correct these issues, it would be great, since most folks don’t have the appropriate software to edit PDF files to make their own corrections before they print.

Thanks again!

Steve Ray August 5, 2007 at 10:24 AM

It is NOW fixed. I had it changed but the old file was still lingering on the server. I deleted it so the revised version would step to the front. It is now correct. Thanks for your help and persistence.

Tom Nourse August 5, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Thanks for fixing this Steve, and thanks for all you have done and ever will do for the Church!

Tom Nourse

Jothish May 21, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Steve,
Can ‘anointing of the sick’ be administered by a Deacon? I thought I heard a talk by a Deacon on Catholic.com and understood that it can be.

Steve Ray May 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Jothish: Deacons cannot anoint with oil for the sick. It is only a bishop or a priest – CCC 1516.

Ben May 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Thanks Steve, I am kicking off a class on the sacraments for the Catholic Boy Scouts. This will come in handy. Our Bishop Rhoades said it is the most important of all the Boy Scout Awards…he was a scout before becoming a successor of St. Peter :)

Siobhan September 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Thank you, Steve. I am also leading a group of very enthusiastic Boy Scouts and can’t wait to share this with them. God bless you!

Manjoe77 January 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Thank you for this, Steve. Requesting your permission to reprint this in our parish newsletter this February 2013. It’s an excellent resource for the YOF. Mabuhay from the Philippines!

STEVE RAY HERE: YOU ARE FREE TO USE IT BUT GIVE CREDIT AND REFER THE RECIPIENTS TO MY WEBSITE. Thanks!

Manjoe77 February 7, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Steve, I’ll make sure that proper attribution is given. I’ll send you a soft copy :) Thank you!