How Much Can a Camel Drink?

by Steve Ray on June 15, 2012

Since we are in Israel and riding camels, I thought I would post some fun and interesting facts.

CamelsDrinking.jpgI recently wrote the Bible Study on Genesis for www.CatholicScriptureStudy.com. In chapter 24 Abraham sends his unnamed servant to find a bride for his son Isaac.

The servant prays to God and asks, ”Whichever girl at the well offers me a drink, and offers to water my camels as well, let her be the one you’ve chosen for Isaac.”

Come on! Get real! What girl is going to draw water by hand for a group of men and TEN CAMELS? Do you know how much a camel can drink?  Try and guess!

Camels can drink _______ gallons in 10 minutes
Camels can drink _______ gallons in one session
Camels can drink _______ gallons in a day
Rebekah drew __________ gallons for 10 thirsty camels

No wonder the servant thought Rebekah was a good wife for Isaac. Good grief, this girl must have been amazing.

The answers are in the Comments below.

Gail Buckley April 29, 2008 at 2:20 AM

I give up, Steve, how many gallons can a camel drink in 10 minutes or in a day and how much would Rebekah had to have drawn for 10 thirsty camels? This is fascinating info that I never thought about. I’m anxious to know the answers!

Genesis is going to be a great study. I hope anyone out there who hasn’t done a group Bible study will either join a CSS group in their area (they can check our website for classes in their areas) or start a group themselves. After all CSS is designed so that any lay person can be a Study Leader and lead a wonderful, in-depth Catholic Bible study because we give them all the materials and tools they need. Go to our website: http://www.cssprogram.net to check out our studies. There are many choices including Acts of the Apostles by Steve Ray and our newest study coming this fall is Genesis that Steve is writing the commentary for right now. Lectures will be on DVD with Fr. Matthew Kauth. It’s going to be a wonderful study!! Join thousands of others around the world this fall studying God’s Word with a CSS group.

Steve Ray April 29, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Only look here if you give up:

20-25 gallons in ten minutes
Up to 40 gallons in one session
Up to 50 gallons in one day
Rebekah many have drawn as much as 400 gallons of water, if the camels had not had any water for a while!

Duane April 29, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Wow. Where can I find a woman like that? LOL.

Jean April 30, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Wow! How can I BE a woman like that?

joshen February 23, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Wow.. thats about 100 ~ 145 litres of water per camel… and 10 camels means over a thousand litres.. and chemistry teaches us 1litre = 1kg..

Rebekah just moved more than a tonne of water! And the word “well” is translated in some Bibles to be a spring. and she had to run down to the spring and collect water in a jar. So she ran back and forth back and forth with no one helping her… (the servant was quietly watching her from the side..) and she did all that, and made it in time to cook dinner? Wow.. The servant really asked God to make sure that Rebekah was the appointed one for Issac…

My brother and i shared a joke saying how she might have been one of those olympic muscle women but then quickly threw it out… too gross and the Bible says she was beautiful..

Praise God..

Burt June 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

The servant at the well then prays….I hope she’s good looking?…you know? God?? Can she be ??…a ??Babe???.. :)

Burt June 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM

De Maria June 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM

She was probably a smart babe. My car guzzles up a lot of gas. I don’t always fill it up.

De Maria June 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM

My mom used to say, “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.”

Carrie November 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I just read in the book of Jasher 24:40 today that Rebekah was 10 years old when this took place. That brings a whole new perspective, huh.