My Dad is on the Edge of Time and Eternity

by Steve Ray on August 5, 2012

My 93 yr old dad now has double pneumonia. Not looking good. His wife of 73 years, my mom, is quite distressed.

My four kids are all flocking to visit him with great love and wonderful memories. They all adore him. Maybe the Lord Jesus will take his good servant home peacefully in his sleep.

For the last few years he has been saying, “Lord, I’m ready. Bring me home.”

I am torn: 1) wanting his smiling, kind, loving self to stay with us, and 2) wanting him to be at peace with the Lord Jesus he has loved and served since 1953. May the Lord’s will be done.

Travis August 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Though such a sorrowful time, it certainly is joyous for a soul to be freed from the body and with our Blessed Lord for eternity in heaven. I am sorry only that I know you and your family will miss him dearly, but it sounds to me that your dad has made his peace, and like St. Joseph, is ready for a happy death. I will be praying for him and your family. God bless.

-Travis

Zailette & Madison August 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

We are in Wichita, Ks at the Catholic Family Conference. This afternoon, you signed my books for my daughter and me. Your talk this morning was powerful and inspiring. I just prayed a Hail Mary for your father. May our Heavenly Mother hold your father in her loving arms. God bless your family.

Zailette & Madison D.

Zailette & Madison August 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Saw you today at the Catholic Family Conference in Wichita, Ks. Your speech this morning was powerful and thank you for signing my books for my daughter and me.

I just prayed a Hail Mary for your father. May our loving heavenly Mother hold your father in her loving embrace. God bless.

Zailette and Madison D.

Marcus Valdes August 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I will be praying for your father and family.

Margie Sindelar August 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Steve, Please know I am praying for your Father , and your entire family. May St. Joseph protect him in his final hours…..Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.

Patty Bonds August 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Praying with you that God’s will be done in your Dad’s life and your whole family.

Jim August 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Prayers be with your father and family. May God’s will be done. It was great to finally see you in Wichita, and we are glad you all made it home safe. Steve, this was a tremendous sacrifice to be here, with your dad in the hospital. It would have been very understanding if you couldn’t make it.

With our Lord using you and your family as His instruments, I pray we may follow your example.

VIVA CHRISTO REY!

STEVE RAY HERE: Jim. Thanks. It was nice meeting you too but there is never enough time. God bless.

Tom Govern August 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Steve, I saw my dad pass to heaven and it was such peace after a long illness. I know that you know you dad is going to heaven but it is still hard. God bless your dad, but I doubt that he needs it. God help you and the family because you will need it even though you know your dad is still with you. It is hard.

Kathy August 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

My prayers are with your dad and your whole family.
God bless you.

Dave Armstrong August 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Our prayers are with your father, you, and your family, Steve. He has been granted a long, fruitful life and an incredibly long-lasting marriage. They were married before WWII. Wow! May the angels and saints minister to him now.

Victoria Cecil August 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Steve,

You do not know me but I know you, of course , through your work for the Church. I just wanted to stop by and tell you that I am praying for your dad and your family. May Our Lady of Sorrows comfort him in his suffering and when his sojourn on earth is done, may she escort him to Jesus , who with the Father and the Spirit, are the very reason for his existence.

Olivia Cendejas August 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hi Stephen,

I saw your post on facebook via Dave and I will be praying for your dad and your family.

Susy August 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

God bless your dear father! I was touched by the photo you posted of him in his sick bed. I will be praying for you all. We never stop loving our parents. All the best during this difficult time. You are such a GIVER Steve. You must have been greatly inspired by your Dad. Hail Mary…

Michael F Poulin August 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with mercy and compassion, who satisfies you with good as long as you live so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

What greater gift can a son give his father than to honor him? Steve, your life glorifies your father and mother.

Peace and Blessings