A Video Remembrance and My Eulogy of Charles Robert Ray 1919 – 2012

by Steve Ray on August 16, 2012

My son Jesse made this wonderful video of my dad, and his beloved grandpa. We showed this tribute at the Funeral Home to hundreds of people today. There were a lot of memories and tears.

The funeral is at 10 AM Thursday at Schrader’s Funeral Home on Main Street in Plymouth, Michigan.

For the Eulogy delivered for my father at the funeral, look below this video.

MY EULOGY TO DAD AT THE FUNERAL TODAY

A lot of good can be said about Dad. Anyone who MET him LOVED him and felt loved BY him. But I want to get to the heart of who Dad was and why people loved him so much.

Once when we were fishing Dad threw a stone in the pond and said, “Watch the ripples. They go to the edges and stop.” But Stevie, if you throw a stone into the pond of eternity — if you love God and live for Him — the stone of your choices will never end but ripple on for all eternity.

Dad threw a stone into that eternal pond on September 6, 1953. And that stone not only changed his life forever, but the lives of everyone else around him.

This CARD was signed by Dad on that date and states, MY DECISION FOR CHRIST. The ripples of that choice are still moving across the pond.

From that point on, he amended his life, embarked on a new course and put God and others first. That is why people loved him so much. From that moment Dad’s life was on a trajectory preparing for THIS day and for his eternity.

This is Dad’s first Bible, one of my most treasured possessions — it is part of our family story. It is marked — worn — and well-read. The date inside is March 1, 1954. And by the way, I was born 9 months later.

This card and Bible express the heart of Dad and his love for Jesus Christ. They express his essence. His new life — the life we all loved — began HERE. Dad lived what he believed and knew to be true.

My grandchildren surrounding the coffin before burial

I’d like to share Dad’s LAST WORDS to me — Toward the end, I whispered in his ear, “Dad, you are dying. Soon you will leave this world. Have you confessed your sins? Are you right with God? Do you still believe?

With shallow breathing and his eyes still closed he POINTED UP and whispered, “NOW MORE THAN EVER!”

I will never forget the last words of my father and I will strive to follow his example. He taught us how to live — and now, how to die.

Jesus welcomed Dad home. He is now in the glorious presence of God with all the angels and saints.

Dad, thanks for everything! Dad, Pray for us!

Rachel Fusselman August 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Fred Astaire has nothing on your dad! What a beautiful celebration of life this video was. May his soul rest in sweet repose in the loving arms of Our Lady! May he relish in the millions of smiles of the Saints and Angels celebrating his homecoming!

Jim August 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Thank you for a wonderful tribute. May Mr. Charles Robert Ray rest in peace.
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let Perpetual Light shine upon him, may he rest in peace, Amen.

Edward August 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM

God bless Charles Robert Ray!

Gail Buckley August 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Dear Steve, Janet and family,
I cried when I watched the video – great job, Jesse! Wish I’d had the opportunity to meet your Dad. Now I know why you’re such a good man, Steve – a chip off the block!! Tom and I send our heartfelt sympathy for your loss but what a blessing that you had so many wonderful years together and memories to cherich and now you can rejoice that you now will have your own personal saint in heaven to pray for you! Blessings, Gail

Richard August 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM

It is wonderful for you to open up the tribute to your father’s life, faith and family to the world. Especially touching was the 7:00 min. mark which revealed, even to this outsider, the enormous heart your father had, the love that touched him that was his wife and the beauty of matrimony that is fully lived. May God’s Eternal Memory Ever Shine Forth through you father’s presence, Steve; and may your family know so many special blessing are prayed to you all through the prayers of a Father who is enjoying the Eternal Rest and Radiant Light of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. “Holy gifts to Holy People!” +So Be It+

Francis August 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM

A holy man and a very holy death. He’s now with all the saints and angels in God’s presence.

Marcus Valdes August 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Great eulogy Steve. I hope I am that eloquent when needed.

Laurie Wittwer August 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

What a wonderful tribute to your loving father, Steve. My mother-ino-law died on May 1st, just 4 days shy of our eldest son’s wedding day. What a bitter-sweet day that was. This brings back those memories, but, I am not sad as that is life. Bless you and your wonderful family.