Prepare for the Skyline of the Future

by Steve Ray on September 13, 2012

I wrote this about two years ago while in Adana Turkey and thought it worthy to post again, especially since I am seeing it again — now in Israel.

Europe is full of magnificent churches—Gothic, Baroque and even modern. Their steeples and crosses still dominate much of the skyline. They stand as impressive monuments to the Christian faith that built the free world and brought beauty and justice out of a pagan, barbarian wilderness.

Notre Dame.jpgToday the churches in Europe are becoming museum pieces recalling the lost faith and  collapsing backbone of Europe. (Paris’ Notre Dame Cathedral to left)

Paganism is on the rise – and along with it something just as alarming. The skyline will soon change, not only for Europe but for the whole Western World, including the United States. You will soon see new structures piercing the sky!

But before I tell you how your view of today’s horizon will change, let me tell you about what happened to Turkey. Then you will see that it can happen—and if we don’t move quickly, it will happen again.

Janet and I are now in Turkey with our Skyline Productions video crew working on our next documentary Apostolic Fathers for the Footprints of God series. We are driving/flying with our crew from one Christian site to another. This country is often called the Second Holy Land—why? Because it contains more Christian sites than anywhere other than Israel.

For a few examples: Antioch is where we were first called Christians, Tarsus was the home town of St. Paul, and Lystra the home city of St. Timothy.

JohnsTomb.jpgBut, Turkey is also home to the Seven Church of Revelation. The Blessed Virgin Mary lived here with the Apostle St. John. Selçuk still boasts the tomb of St. John (see picture to right). Istanbul (Constantinople) was once a proud patriarchate of the Catholic Church and home to Ecumenical Councils.

Actually, the first Seven Ecumenical Councils were held here, including Constantinople, Chalcedon, and Nicea—from which we got Nicene Creed recited each Sunday. And don’t forget the Council of Ephesus which defined Mary as the Theotokos, the Mother of God.

And if you remember your New Testament, you will recognize cities that were in today’s Turkey: Galatians, Ephesians and Colossians. Turkey is also the land of martyrs, Fathers and Doctors of the Church like Sts. Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Irenaeus, Gregory of Nyssa, Gregory of Nazianzus, John Chrysostom, and Basil the Great to name just a few.

So, when I look out over the horizon from my hotel room window, do I see the beautiful churches that once marked the skyline of Asia Minor (modern day Turkey)?

Nope. Sorry. I see something else.

skyline.jpgFrom my window just now, I counted no less than nineteen minarets! What are minarets? They are the tall slender towers above an Islamic mosque from which the muezzin calls the faithful to prayer (Notice two pictures from my hotel window–one wide shot with no less than five minarets; the second at the bottom of this blog showing a large mosque across the river. There is only one Catholic Church within a hundred miles of where I am now).

What happened to the churches? Let’s go to Istanbul together and I will show you! I have frequently visited the Hagia Sophia—the Church of Holy Wisdom. It was the glory of Christendom and for over a thousand years it had the largest dome — until St. Peter’s was built in Rome. Many people thought the dome stayed up by a direct miracle of God. How else could something so expansive stay up without crashing down?

Hagia1.jpgBut when the Muslims conquered Contantinople they defaced the church, painted over the golden icons of our Blessed Mother and turned the spectacular church into a mosque. The crosses came down and the minarets went up.

Today the Hagia Sophia is a museum! (picture of modern Hagia Sophia to left)

It has been predicted that within fifty years Europe’s skyline will change. It will become a Muslim empire. Steeples will come down and minarets will go up. No longer will you hear bells – you will hear muezzin wailing from the balconies of slender minarets.

And America? We are losing our faith too, and our backbone. Will we be far behind Europe? I don’t think so. Islam has 1 billion followers, many of who will stop at nothing short of world domination. They won’t call it that, of course. They will say the world is now as Allah willed it.

Skyline3.jpgAnd like the Hagia Sophia—your church, and the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC and St. Patrick’s in New York will still pierce the skyline, but no longer as steeples. They will sport the latest in minarets. And our grandchildren’s’ children will wonder why we caved in so easily—why we lost our faith and our backbone.

Oh, so you don’t believe it can happen to us? Neither did the Byzantine Empire, the powerhouse of Christianity in the East! But, the East fell to Islam and the West may fall as well. Maybe not by military might, but by religious indifference, population control, and secularism. Islam can overtake us by persistence, population growth, and religious fervor.

What was once part of a powerful Christian Empire is now 99% Muslim. Out of a population of about 75 million, there are only 60,000 Christians (Catholic, Orthodox, Protestants, etc.). The past screams to us but will we listen.

Prepare to see the new skyline; prepare to be awakened at 4 AM with the wail of the muezzin.

Far-fetched? Read this article about Holland.

St. Ignatius, pray for us. Sts. Polycarp, Irenaeus and John Chysostom, pray for us!

Andrew September 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM

“I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it” – Jesus

The Catholic Church can never be vanquished, and from the looks of how despised Islam is by everyone in the Western world from folks like Dawkins to Feminists to Republicans who think Obama is a Secret Muslim. Islam will not rise in America without a fight (though I after living a year in England I think it WILL take over there).

In which case I agree, Blessed Theotokos, mother of the Church, pray for us.

Jon September 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM

I have never been to Europe, but I do understand European History and the current situation that Europe is facing with respect to immigration… particularly from Muslim countries. I am not on the bandwagon, however, in thinking that Europe is “Islamisizing”, as some have put it. Though the immigration trend may continue, (as does the decline in the European birth rates). I believe that Europe will have a far greater effect on the Muslims, than they on it… at least in the long run. Chances are, the Muslims who are there… in a generation or so, will completely secularize as the rest of Europe has. Which outcome is worse? I’ll let you be the judge. We’ll see in the next 25 to 50 years.

Steve Ray September 21, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I disagree and history disagrees but my grandkids will let us know who was right.

RobertD September 22, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Jon,
I’m an American who has been living in Europe for the past 30+ years. I can assure you that the Islamizaziion of Europe has already taken place in the the larger cities e.g. Berlin, and Cologne.

The streets are full of moslem women and even little girls wearing “traditional” cover everything dress. Islamic countries (Saudi, Iran, and Turkey) are finanzing the building of mosques any mega-prayer houses all over. They are also finanzing Quran schools everywhere and importing the mullahs to teach.

The question is not if the islamization is is going to happen, but how long it will take to gain control.

Who’s at fault? IMO, the Christians are, because they just don’t care about or practice their religeon.

BTW immagration is not feeding it, the high muslem birth rate is!

Walt LaRoche September 25, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Your old link had comments that should not be lost: http://blog.catholic-convert.com/?p=1246

Brother Ed September 26, 2008 at 6:26 PM

This is one of the things which sorely tries my faith. WHY did God allow this to happen in the first place? Did we do something that turned Him against us as a body of believers? Why did the Christian armies suffer defeat after defeat against the Muslims from the very beginning? Why was Mohammed even allowed to live and bring this forth?

Ultimately I have to rely upon the fact that this world and all that is in it belongs to God and it is His sovereign and divine plan, which is being done for HIS reasons, which is being carried to a conclusion.

Still………..

Mary November 23, 2008 at 8:16 PM

God hasn’t allowed this to happen. We have. We as Christians have sat back and kept our mouths shut for far to long! Ever since this ‘political correctness’ bologna started, people have been afraid to speak up for what is right and for what they believe in. Politically correct? WHO CARES?!!!! NOT ME!!! I stand up for what is right in GOD’S eyes – NOT mans!!! Will you be answering to any of these people come judgement day? I don’t think so!!! Do any of these people care about you like your Father cares about you? NO!!! Will you see the hurt and disappointment in their eyes like you will when you face your Father? Absolutely not! Things are happening for a reason. The reason being is because WE have turned our backs on God! We have PUSHED Him out of our schools and pretty much out of our lives! We call on Him only when it is convenient for us! We will NOT see change for the better until we start putting GOD FIRST!!! We have spat in the eyes of God and our Forefathers. May God have mercy on us all!! May our eyes be unveiled, our ears opened, our minds cleared and our hearts opened to what God is SCREAMING at us right now! May our Mother Mary intervene and pray for mercy for us. God bless all and God bless the United States of America!

nora woods December 3, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Each year at Christmas time we hear of retailers who will not use the word Christmas but they make most of their sales at the Christmas celebration. Now all of us know that we celebrate advent but these companies for pc reasons have told everyone that Christmas is not about Christ. How many stories do we have to hear about Nativity scenes being banned even Christmas trees and they are suppose to be secular. Kids are not allow to wear red or green. The stories go on and on. But make no mistake about it,they do not want Christ to be the message of the Christmas season. Any store that does use the word Christmas,Old Navy,Gap,many others,I will not shop anymore. If I receive a gift from there it will go back and I will tell them why. I have signed a petition and have called stores letting them know there are plenty of places to shop. And let us not forget charities especially pro-life centers and good seminary schools. I grew up in the 50′s and I remember there being Nativity’s all over the place. But we as a country have not been leading the lives of the Gospel,so it is we who lead Jesus is not the reason for the season. It is very pc to pick on Christians but never would the very pc crowd attack the Muslems. They take their faith very serious,although violent. We have to ask ourselves why did the people in California who were upset over the gay marriage proposal failing feel comfortable attacking a Christian churches but not the Mosques or Jewish temples when both are against the life of homosexuality? We need more prayer and to reach out to the ones close to us and around us whenever we can. This Christian nation has 50 million dead children on our souls but yet we elected the most pro-choice candidate for president!!! God please have mercy on us all this advent season.

Michael McGreevy January 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Nothing is new. I am learning about our Church history. ( Steve Weidenkoph’s Epic. Love it) Well it seems like one of our Church Doctors is St Peter Damian. Among St. Peter Damian’s most famous writings is his lengthy treatise, Letter 31, the Book of Gomorrah (Liber Gomorrhianus), containing the most extensive treatment and condemnation by any Church Father of clerical pederasty and homosexual practices. His manly discourse on the vice of sodomy in general and clerical homosexuality and pederasty in particular.
So one more I learn..there is nothing new under the sun.
He also helped get the Church in shape for the first Crusade. Than like now Muslims are one the rise. Steve do you think it unlikely we could ever see another Crusade?

theresa in Alberta February 18, 2010 at 6:40 AM

I cannot help but think, protestant converts to the catholic faith are so on fire, so excited about the true church. I can’t wait to see what the moslem converts will be like when they come into the church. It will be a happy day indeed :-)

richard February 19, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Hi
I am a French citizen, living in France.
I grew up in a traditional non practicing Catholic family (got baptized, first and second communions) but that was all. Then I discovered God´s love when I lived in the USA for 2 years – I became an evangelical Christian, 17 years ago, at 21.
Back to France, met my wife, both got baptized as born again Christians (in a Grace Brethren Church). Then we lived 4 years in Germany and since we´ve been back in France, we are kinda drifting away from our protestant roots – we made our first steps back to the Catholic church last year, but it is really hard…. the French people no longer believes and the priests here just do nothing – when we first met with a priest about our wil to come back home, he said : stay where you are, in your protestant church – it is a good place…. well, since then, we have been drifting away….and on the other side, we see Islam rising in France – we now have more than 7 mosques where I live – this week a French restaurant chain (like McDo) decided to no longer sell pork and sell only Hallal food…we see more and more covered women and we must be carefull when talking not to be taken for racists otherwise we can get fined…the situation is serious, but how do you want to fight back (spiritually) when the very Catholic Church is “coward”, doesn´t want to hurt the Muslim community and so on???
on the other hand, our protestant friends are just looking to evangelize the Catholics to take them out of Babylone (= the Catholic Church).
now 10% of the French population is Muslim but it is also true many of them are none practicing muslims – just like 99,5% of the French Catholics. But we see our skyline change and the same will pretty much happen to the USA as well.
God bless you
Richard, a French guy, Protesto-Catholic ( I do not know where we stand now…) and seeing Islam rising up in Europe…

Lois February 19, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I am one of the born-again Evangelical Protestants who appreciates this info from Steve Ray. We all as Christians, need to get out there and take every opportunity our Lord Jesus Christ gives to witness to the lost whose spiritual eyes have yet to be opened as to Who He Is, His Cross Work for their sins and His resurrction from the dead proving He is indeed God the Son whose sacrifice on the cross makes it possible for all who will to have forgiveness of sins and new life in Him.

I believe we are given free will but that God will only let us go so far in our disobedient state; we have indeed been disobedient as a country and even as Christians as one poster stated. Let’s pray that the blessed Holy Spirit will put a fire within us as Christians to do His work while it is still day.

In the meantime, we can all remember God’s promises to us Christians such as Rom 8:28.when things don’t seem to be going too well in our own lives.

Love you guys and how so many Catholics stand up for our Lord Jesus and His Word.

Roisin February 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I am reading a good book called ‘Reflections on the Revolution in Europe’ which appears to be validated by the few Europeans that I personally know and the comments on this board. The combination of lax immigration laws, political maneuvering and rapid birth rates of the Muslims will make Europe an extension of North Africa by 2050. It is apathy and Godlessness of the Europeans that will allow the takeover of Europe. Sadly, in the US the secular Jews, fringe militant groups (gays, feminists, etc) have opened the door to the downward spiral. The US also has a very clear anti Catholic sentiment by many Protestants which contribute to this fissure. Sadly, we will not be far behind as the PC police are infiltrating the schools., business and community under the pretense of xenophobia. May God help us….
Pax
Roisim

Catholic Defender August 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Thank oyu bro. Steve Ray, thanks for sharing this to us. I have lived my life in the Middle East for more than 10 years now and I can truly agree with your observations. Although most of my Muslim friends are generally tolerant and good but there is no way that we can freely talk about Christianity and Jesus with Muslims. And since they view Christianity as “haram” and the West as the evil, they are willing to populate the Western regions by immigration and by asserting their democratic rights to “worship” and to build their houses of worships as well. That the Western countries cannot challenge. And with the growing coldness and irreligousity of the Western people, that will ultimately subdue them to dimmies. I am so blest that in my own little way, I am sharing my Catholic faith to other Chritians, stir with them the interest in religion and mostly, please pray for more and more holy priests and priest who are well trained for apologetics– and defend the Church. God bless.

Juan Diaz September 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Europe doesn’t have a back bone to stand on. The secularist don’t care who comes in as long as Christianity is out of the picture. They despise their own roots and sometimes i think they feel ashamed of who they are.

We don’t see other immigrant communities demanding every special right that they can get their hands on. Diversity is great as long as it doesn’t try to impose strict religious dogma on the native people. Religion should be about free and willing submission and not by force or intimidation. If they want to pray five times a day in a mosque and tell their wives to cover up their face in public fine, but don’t try to tell the native people that the are kuffar and are infidels and going into the streets intimidating and harassing people that just want live normal lives. If they don’t like Western culture, there are plenty of strict Islamic countries to pick from and I am sure they would feel much better living alongside such pious societies.

I am afraid that by the time Europe realizes that Islam is there to stay, it will be too late for them.