Below are the questions I answered on Catholic Answers Live on Monday. The topic was “Homosexuality and the Bible.” You can listen to the archived show HERE. For more options or other listening options, click HERE.
For my articles on homosexuality, the Bible and the Church, click HERE.
We discussed the six major passages in the Bible that directly address homosexuality:
1) Genesis 19 (Sodom and Gomorrah)
2) Leviticus 18:22-25 (called an abomination along with bestiality and incest)
3) Leviticus 20:13 (men who lie with men like with a woman)
4) Romans 1:26ff. (God gave them over to indecent acts)
5) 1 Cor 6:9-11 (lists both the aggressor and receiver of homosexual relations: “female” and “male”)
6) 1 Tim 1:10 (condemned along with killers of mothers and fathers)
A few minor passages:
1) Jude 7 (men of Sodom “indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh”).
2) 1 Kings 22:46 (“The remnant of the sodomites who remained in the days of his father Asa, he expelled from the land.”)
QUESTIONS I ANSWERED:
1) What is homosexuality? Is it the inclination or the acts?
2) In my area many Catholics are speaking favorably about homosexuality. How should I address and oppose this trend?
3) If someone rejects the Bible and Christianity, how can I discuss the disordered nature of homosexuality with them?
4) How does the exhortation in Matthew 18 about confronting one who sins against you apply to this situation?
5) “I am a recovering homosexual, how can the Bible help me be victorious?”
6) How should we relate to homosexuals?
7) What was the sin of Sodom? Was it really inhospitality as some people claim?