How Catholics Voted

by Steve Ray on November 10, 2012

20121110-175227.jpgAccording to exit polls, Barack Obama was re-elected last night with the majority of the Catholic vote. From Politico:

“Although he again lost Protestant voters to his GOP opponent, Obama held onto his advantages among Catholic and Jewish voters. He won 70 percent of the Jewish vote, down from 78 percent in 2008, and he won Catholic voters 50 percent to 47 percent. Romney carried Protestant voters by a 13-point margin, 56 percent to 43 percent.”

That’s down very slightly from the 54 percent of Catholics who voted for Obama in 2008. I haven’t seen any polls parsing the numbers on how Mass-attending Catholics specifically voted (in 2008, the majority of Catholics who attend Mass weekly went for McCain). More as the numbers become available!

UPDATE (and worth viewing): Church-attendance numbers tell a different story

(This article is in Catholic World Report)

20121110-180330.jpg

Matthew Nelson November 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I’m sorry, but that is just so incredibly disappointing. To watch the Catholic Church become the target of attacks, and still suppose the aggressor. There are no words to express how deeply sad this really is.

Mary ann LeVeille November 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I think what Matthew Warner of NCR said was it for me. Nothing more to “be said” after reading his article….Rigjt on target, Matthew. We have to keep praying to the Holy Spirit for his wisdom, guidance and understanding….and LOVE !!! Look in the mirror, start with “what can I do” and work outwards from there !

Greg Traylor November 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

All I’m going to say is he didn’t get mine or my families!

anna November 11, 2012 at 4:01 AM

We need to teach our brothers and sisters to understand the value of our faith so the next election they will be able to make right vote, but mean time we just do fasting and praying for obama and biden for a conversio . Think about million of unborn baby died each year, it is worst than people died of war or natural disasters.

Tom Govern November 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

We can blame our Church leaders for this. They cannot say “Obama” is the evil (God bless Billy Graham) but they can say “The Democratic party supports….(evils)”. 40% of the people in the pews did not associate the HSS mandates, abortion and gay marriage with the Democratic party! Sad. Let’s pray that the damage is reversible in the long run. Let’s also pray for Obama, Maybe the ghosts of past, present and future will give him a visit.

Laura Morley December 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I am upset that our Catholic priest did next to nothing during the elections.I feel we are at war with the ideas of the Obama Presidency,and instead of leading we were left to defend our church on our own.I know Catholics who said to me they didnt know it was a sin to vote for Obama.Please catholic priest stand up and fight for our church.You are called to a higher duty,START DOING YOUR JOB!