A Protestant Minister Writes: “I am Joining the Catholic Church!”

by Steve Ray on March 25, 2013

“Today I was enrolled in the Rite of Election to come into full communion with the Catholic Church. For many of you this may come as no surprise for others it might be something of a shock.

It was not a decision I entered into lightly, after all as a protestant minister this decision amounts to essentially walking away from my career up to this point as well as any financial stability for my family for the foreseeable future.

“For the last six years you all have been a great support to me with your comments and challenges as I struggled through many of the questions of faith that have brought me to this point. Many of you have walked beside me even longer, and for that I am eternally grateful.

I thought I owed it to you all to talk about why I am joining the Catholic Church and what this means, and does not mean, for my future. I would love to hear your thoughts and concerns about this so please leave your comments below (in the Combox on his website). I treasure all of you…..”

To read the whole story click here.

Billy “flirted” with the Eastern Orthodox churches on his journey, as did I. And like me had to conclude that the Catholic Church was the true church founded by Christ and that the Orthodox churches had become a schism.

It is a short read, well-written, interesting, encouraging, informative and you will be the better for having read it.

Enjoy the story and leave him a note of welcome on his blog :-)

anna March 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Welcome home dear brother!!! :)

aid March 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

welcome home! may God bless you more!

Alicia April 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Welcome brother…and may your journey be blessed and be a wonderful one… :)

Lou May 13, 2013 at 4:09 AM

WELCOME! Your decision to be one of us in the Catholic Church makes me so proud to be a CAtholic and have inspired me to continually and perseveringly serve God in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila’s Ministry on Ecology.
God shows the way in His very mysterious way and in is time… Good luck and let us pray many more will follow your example especially in this year of Faith.

Andrea May 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM

And what is so cool is meeting other devout Catholics and instantly having that intimate friendship!

I’m so glad you’ve disovered so many Catholic treasures! A lifetime will not be enough to find them all, so enjoy your journey of being constantly surprised by joy! Glad you are a brother, and God bless you in Jesus through Mary!

Finola May 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Beautiful story of your journey. Very moving. God Bless you and I keep you in my prayers. I was especially interested and uplifted by what you said about Fr John Hardon, SJ. I was privileged to have met him in person once and a living saint he was. I pray he will be beatified and eventually canonized. So great was his influence for the glory of God in the Catholic realm. You are in my prayers and I hope all is going well for you. Thank you for sharing your story!

Catholic Defender May 31, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Welcome home to the Catholic Church! May the Lord bless you and yours with far more than temporal riches, but also may the Lord protect you in establishing a career. I appreciate your Sacrifice, but know that the Lord infinitely does more!!!

Carol June 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Welcome home fellow Catholic. May Jesus richly bless you in your journey as he has and does mine. Blessings! I converted to the CC when I was 28 years old and have never looked back. Nothing compares to the Lord’s Presence in the Eucharist.

Xavier D'costa June 1, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Welcome home to the Catholic Church! May the Lord bless you and yours abundantly with far more than temporal riches, but also may the Lord protect you in establishing a career. I appreciate your Sacrifice, but know that the Lord infinitely does more!!! Since you had acknowledge the Catholic Church…..do not fear of anything of this world for “GOD WILL MAKE A WAY, WHERE THERE SEEMS TO BE NO WAY. HE WORKS IN WAYS WE CANNOT SEE, HE WILL MAKE A WAY.” Trust in the LORD JESUS CHRIST.

Michelle Rasberry June 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Congratulations and welcome home. I just came fully into the Church this last Easter. It is the happiest I have ever been in my life. I am hoping you find the same joy and fulfillment that I did.

Michelle June 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Welcome… I often think that adult initiates have an advantage to “cradle” Catholics. You come to the faith with eyes wide open and a menu of choices of traditions to choose from to engage from. Our faith is so rich with so many different treasures to explore, life is not long enough to gather the full depth and breadth of the this wonderful religion. And you may not be a “pastor” per se, but you can become a deacon if that is something that calls you.

Kenneth M. Fisher June 2, 2013 at 3:03 AM

KMF: Praise God and His Mother for your conversion. I strongly recommend that you view the movie “For the Greater Glory” because Catholics in America may soon be facing the same thing under Obama that the Mexican Catholics faced under Plutarco Calles. Viva Cristo Rey! You may want to look into the Permanent Deaconate because as a Catholic Deacon, you can do as much and even more than you ever could do as a Protestant Minister. God bless, yours in Their Hearts, Kenneth M. Fisher, Founding Director, Concerned Roman Catholics of America, Inc.

zizi nasr tawk June 12, 2013 at 6:23 AM

My dear brother in jesus …… first of all welcome back home …..2nd now u have a great mission to accomplish & that’s why god chose u , u have to be aware of this mission …it’s even more important than being a pastor now u have to lift up all the divided churches in ur prayers ur responsible for their salvation & god knows u r the perfect one for this mission ………. God bless u & be with u , May Mary his mother enlightens ur way with her motherly love , all saints guide u & the holy spirit inspires u , strengthens u & make u holy ………. U’LL be in my daily mass , in my prayers , ………….

ria July 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Welcome in the CHURCH from JESUS. We live in a very special time, The Popes we had the last decennia they all did a very good job. Today was a great day for the Church. Pope (Francis) and the Pope emeritus, UNITED. They wrote the new Encyclic with four hands, as they say. God has given us the occasion to live this days, as a great Gift, to the Church and to the world. I’m catholic since I was born, (almost 74 years ago) I’m so happy I received my faith from my parents. I was always proud and thankfull to be a catholic. I wish and hope You may be happy too. In this days it is not always easy to be a Roman Catholic, but we have also MARIA, Jesus’ Mother, the Mother of the Church and ours. Congratulations. Ria

Steve Finnell October 31, 2013 at 1:30 PM

THE LORD’S CHURCH

What are the things that do not make you a member of the body of Christ?

What are the requirements for membership in the Lord’s church?

THINGS THAT DO NOT MAKE YOU A MEMBER OF THE LORD’S CHURCH.

1. Simply believing that Jesus is the Son of God does not grant you membership in the Lord’s church.

Mark 5:1-12 …..7…”What business do we have with each other, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?….12 The demons implored Him….

Demons believe that Jesus is the Son of God, however, that does not give them membership in the Lord’s church. Legion was not part of the body of Christ.

2. Sprinkling infants with water does not make them part of the body of Christ. Sprinkling unbelieving babies is not an act that adds them to the Lord’s church.

Mark 16:16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved….

Only believers who have been baptized are added to the Lord’s church. Babies are not capable of believing.

3. Joining denominations, such as the Catholic Church, the Baptist Church, the Lutheran Church, the Methodist Church, etc. does not grant you membership into the Lord’s church. Joining a denomination cannot save anyone. You cannot join the Lord’s church.

Acts 2:47…And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

The requirement for being added to the Lord’s church is not joining a denomination. The Lord only adds the saved to the church. The church is the body of Christ.

WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR BEING ADDED TO THE LORD’S CHURCH?

The apostle Peter said, on the Day of Pentecost, ” Be saved from this perverse generation!” (Acts 2:40)

Who was saved? Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day were added about three thousand souls.

Three thousands souls were added to the Lord’s church on the Day of Pentecost. Why were they added to the body of Christ?
They received Peter’s message and were immersed in water.(baptized).

Peter’s message: (Acts 2:22-38) They were taught that Jesus was the Christ. That Jesus was Lord. That God raised Jesus from the dead. They were told to repent and be baptized so their sins could be forgiven and that they would receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Those who believed Peter’s message, and repented and were baptized, were added to the body of Christ by the Lord Himself. (Acts 2:47 …And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

MEN BECOME SAVED THE SAME WAY TODAY AS THEY DID ON THE DAY OF PENTECOST.

HOW TO BECOME ADDED TO THE LORD’S CHURCH.

1. FAITH: John 3:16, Mark 16:16
2. CONFESSION: Romans 10:9-10, Acts 8:37
3. REPENTANCE: Acts 2:38, Acts 3:19
4. BAPTISM: Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16, 1 Peter 3:21, Galatians 3:27.

ONLY THE LORD ADDS YOU TO HIS CHURCH!

YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY CHRISTIAN BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com