Steve’s Short Story “The Last Nightmare” Might Scare the Hell Out of You!

by Steve Ray on November 25, 2013

The Last Nightmare
A Short and Terrifying Story by Steve Ray

Munchs-Vampire-to-go-up-for-auctionEverything went blank for a moment, but that moment seemed like eternity. He felt a motion, not with wind and breeze, but a motion none the less. He was traveling, moving, floating, transcending-he wasn’t really sure. The sudden blackness gave him time to regain his thoughts, just enough time to recapture the last moments.

Though his first thoughts were garbled and dreamlike, they slowly began taking shape, like a tree seen through a thick fog, slowly it all came back to him out of the swirling, traveling, blank void. Utter confusion was giving way to bits of clarity.

They had rushed him to the hospital. He remembered the sirens and the cold hands of the paramedics. Cold hands all over his body, probing and poking. Yes, there had been screams, he remembered now—and the sound of sobbing.

Then the horrendous sound resurfaced, a sound that could be felt. It was a sound that had subsumed his whole being, wrapping itself around him, ripping through him. Then the sound of crunching metal, broken glass, and twisted carnage. What must have lasted only seconds seemed to him a long and troubling nightmare—then the dark, foggy void.

For the rest of the 12-page story, click here.

Bud Mulqueeney November 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Aside from the movie “The Exorcist,” this story has to be the most frightening
story I’ve ever read.

Should be required reading in all junior and senior Catechism classes and all
Catholic high schools and colleges.

I originally came across this article sometime in 2000 and immediately saved it
to disc. Forwarded to my older sister who was pretty shook up after reading it.

Still haunts me to this day, but makes me pray more when I have a memory of
this article.

Bud Mulqueeney
Quincy, MA.

Teri September 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Hi Steve,

I like your new website! I’m listening to you on Open line at Catholic Answers Live – you are answering questions from non-catholics. You are very calm and understanding. That is such a beautiful witness to our true faith – The Catholic Church – where we don’t have to feel worried or insecure.

I’m a convert and in RCIA and I can’t wait to belong to the Church. I read everything and study everything…it’s like I’ve been starved for truth in my Protestant life…but most of all starved for the true food which is the nourishment of Christ Himself in the Eucharist!

My husband and I are both so excited and I can’t believe that he would be interested in going on a trip with you and Dr. Hahn to Europe. He loves to travel but not leave the U.S. He wants to go to Rome which is a miracle in itself!

I need to find out the cost and what is involved in the upcoming Rome and Assisi trip. I would be thrilled to be there!

May God bless you for all you do for the One true faith!
Teri

Teri September 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Oops I forgot to put my website/blog address. It’s getting an overhaul too!

Steve Ray September 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Hello Teri

Welcome home to the Church! Glad to have you join us. Also, thanks for your kind words about the show on Catholic Answers Live.

If you want more info on the trip to Rome we will have the brochure up soon. If you want info right away you can call Suzanne at 800-727-1999, ext. 121. She handles all the inquiries and registrations.

Thanks again for writing and give my greetings to your good husband too!

Adina May 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I was talking with my beloved yesterday and said that I wanted to do a few things in my life to give greater glory to God. I mentioned giving up something that I like to do, and my husband, a God fearing man said that God would want me to have a good time, too. I said that I think God is trying to open a door for me (or I said something to that effect – I was really distracted). My husband is a great guy, and we have been our journey of reconversion for 8 years now.

Thankfully I was on Facebook looking at a post from a faithful Catholic and I read this for the first time (but accidentally downloaded the story twice) I cried. I pray that my mom who was in a coma felt the peace of the Lord. I pray that my family will feel the peace of the Lord when their time comes and I hope that I am ready for when the Lord calls me home. For the first time I feel like I cried not because of the fear of hell, but because I hurt the one I should love the most, the Lord, our God.

I am going to print this for my boys, 18 & 13, and of course my husband will read this. I want to share your story with everyone. I know the Lord wanted me to read it, now I need to pray and do something! God bless you.
Pax.

Your sister in Christ,
Adina
San Antonio, TX

Diane September 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM

It’s a very scary reality. I’ve read true stories of people who have had a near-death experience and have seen hell. These stories have had a deep impact in my life, I’m scared and don’t want to go there. And I pray with such sadness and plead God, Our heavenly Mother and the saints for the salvation of my children, who follow the ways of the world. I can’t fathom anyone, even an enemy going to hell. I say a rosary many times for those on the brink of death that they repent.