The Protestant and his Three Huts

by Steve Ray on February 26, 2014

I posted this a long time ago, but thought it would be fun to represent it.

A Protestant was stranded all alone on an island. He begins sending smoke signals, hoping that somebody will find him.

Ten years pass, and a boat is sailing by. The captain notices the smoke signals, and decides to pull into the island. When he docks, he sees three huts.

20120718-142118.jpg

The Protestant runs out and embraces the captain, and says, “Thank you for rescuing me!” The captain says, “No problem, where are the others?” The man says, “There is only me, I am all alone on this island.”

The captain, confused, asks, “If you are all alone, then why are there three huts?”

The man says, “Well, the first hut is where I live, that’s my home. The second hut is my church, where I worship.” The captain asks, “And what is the third hut?” The man says, “Oh, that was the church I used to go to.”

Edwina Conason July 2, 2007 at 10:20 AM

No, no, no. He is not just any Protestant. He is an Anglican.

The Captain is confused. He asks, “Why are there three huts?”

The Anglican responds, “One is my home. One is the church I attend. The third is the church I do not attend.”

Only Anglicans and Episcopalians understand this.

Kristyn Hall July 3, 2007 at 9:54 AM

As a Protestant, I have one word for you: OUCH.
:o)
God bless!

Aaron July 8, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Multiply by Division = Protestantism

Melissa Dimas October 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM

As a cradle Catholic turn protestant and then Catholic again (AMEN!) I just had to laugh out loud about that one!! LOL!! After coming home to the church I realized no matter where in the world I go if there is a Catholic church I am home! Thank you Steve, you were a big reason I came back. I have many of your books and CD’s and share them with others. I’ve even managed to pray a few of my friends back home with me!! Praise God!

Jerime December 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM

A nun at a Catholic school asked her students what they want to be when they grow up.

Little Suzy declares, “I want to be a prostitute.”

“What did you say?!” asks the nun, totally shocked.

“I said I want to be a prostitute,” Suzy repeats.

“Oh, thank heavens,” says the nun. “I thought you said ‘a Protestant!’”

Ioannes July 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I agree with Kristyn Hall. The insult towards our separated Protestant brethren and towards Anglicans in particular is demeaning and uncalled for.

Steve Ray July 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM

As a former Protestant who moved from one hut to another for the first half of my life, I find this joke revealing and it should cause people to think. Sometimes we get too serious. Lighten up! Catholics are supposed to take insults day-after-day with a smile but we aren’t allowed to share a little humor? Protestants ought to be jostled a bit and hopefully they can see the problems with Protestantism and the schisms it caused.

Ioannes July 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Didn’t Jesus say, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”? If you don’t want to be insulted, then don’t insult.

Ferdinand July 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

It appears that our friend lives in a different society. This is nothing when you compare to jokes coming from the other side.

I suggest, relax, smile, and have good life!!!

Steve Ray July 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ioannes: I think you are wound too tight. You need a sense of humor. Catholics are bashed constantly. A little humor in return is a good think and may make them think a bit of their confusion and the schisms that have so hurt the unity of the Church.
Who says I don’t want to get criticized? I get criticized all the time for being Christian, Catholic and having more than 2.3 kids. I have no fear of criticism or insults. By the way, why are you criticizing? Don’t you follow the Golden Rule? Lighten up and enjoy life. Laugh at yourself a little bit and have a bit of fun with a good joke which exposes truth – but not in a hateful way of course.

Beryl July 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

ok. This cracks me up. I am a former Baptist of many flavors, then other random protestant flavors, then LDS. Through EWTN and Steve’s CD’s I have come to see the truth of the Catholic Church. Thanks Steve. I would need about a dozen huts on my island. :-)

Beryl July 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

a little boy goes to sunday school for the first time. when he gets home his mother asks him what he has learned.
We learned about Moses he says. How Moses frred the children of Isreal from Egypt. How did that happen asks his mother?
Well he starts, first Moses had the comandos gather all the people together. then they were loaded into large personel carriers and they left Egypt. next thing you know the come to the Red Sea and Moses has the Engineers build a bridge to cross it. all the while the Egyptians are hot on their trail so Moses had the demolition teams place bomb on the bridge and just as they were crossing it he blew it up and all of Pharos men were drowned inthe Red Sea. the Children of Isreal all got away safe.
Is that what your Sunday School teacher really taught you? No says the little boy but you would never believe the story she told us.

L.Cowley April 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Well, I think Ioannes has a point. I’m actually catholic for agree with many things in the Protestant church as well. We can learn from each other. I think it’s immature to take the view that it’s ok to make fun of Protestants because some of them make fun of Catholics. What about turning the other cheek? We need to be looking at unity through our shared love of Christ. Steve, you’ve just gone from making fun of catholics as a Baptist to making fun of Protestants now… bit hypocritical

Hochiminh February 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM

To PROTESTANTS HERE: lighten up.

I quit work because the Protestant owners and relatives keep attacking Catholic and Others. I was tired of thei shallowness about theology. Their pastor has no humility or honesty. He works once in awhile with the company, but when trouble comes, he defends owners, which is not true many times.

The attack got worse when I started to learn about the Catholic faith.

When Protestant meet each other, they keep attacking others especially Catholic. I witnessed every time.
Why? I never see that in any other faith. Why do you try to convert Christians when they are first Christians? Why not trying to convert communists, or Muslems?

They only want to be saved. To be honest, I know myself a sinner, trying to learn what truth is, I only hope to do my best and leave the rest for God to save me or not. If not, maybe I deserve it for my sin.
After many hours research, Steve R., Tim S., Scott H., fr Barron have played major role in my conversion this Easter. Im thankful for that.

Julie February 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Melissa and Beryl, I liked your comments. :) I was a protestant for a while, and yes, I did church hop. I think it is in the protestant DNA. I think protestants with a good sense of humor can stand a little jostling. After all, we don’t give out tracts filled with lies about them or listen to sermons passing along myths about what they believe. Being Christian doesn’t strip away your humor.

Chris Fleming February 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM

He should have said, “That’s the one Steve moved to.

John March 1, 2014 at 11:06 PM

come on lighten up!!!one of my very good friends told me this about his Baptist background “We multiply by dividing” He thought it was funny and so did I. He is very sincere in his faith & so am I but we both an smile