Cartoon on Protestantism and the Bible

by Steve Ray on July 27, 2014

When I look back on my experience I find this cartoon has a ring of truth. There were many verses of the Bible that I either didn’t realize existed (though that may seem strange) or that we just ignored.

Other verses I just read with my “Baptist glasses” on and twisted them to fit my old tradition. Looking back it makes me happier than ever to be a Catholic.

20140207-183446.jpg

Francisco Dias February 8, 2014 at 2:13 AM

The stuff you have written in your book shown below doesn’t make you any better. You are know trying to fit the Holy Scriptures to fit your ‘Catholic glasses”. You still stand condemned as ever before.

STEVE RAY HERE: Francisco, you’re only proving my point with you above. We don’t add anything to the Scriptures I give a list of items below that the Bible says is required for salvation. These are versus you cut out, they are verses we read and include, salvation is not by faith alone solvation also includes a whole list of things that are required by God namely obedience. The list I gave only proves my point thanks for helping me do that.

FROM MY BOOK “CROSSING THE TIBER”:
How does one receive salvation, justification, new birth and eternal life?
By believing in Christ (Jn 3:16; Acts 16:31)?
By repentance (Acts 2:38; 2 Pet 3:9)? [SOMETHING WE DO]
By baptism (Jn 3:5; 1 Pet 3:21; Titus 3:5)? [SOMETHING WE DO]
By the work of the Spirit (Jn 3:5; 2 Cor 3:6)?
By declaring with our mouths (Luke 12:8; Rom 10:9)? [A WORK]
By coming to a knowledge of the Truth (1 Tim 2:4; Heb 10:26)? [OUR ACHIEVEMENT]
By works (Rom 2:6, 7; James 2:24)?
By grace (Acts 15:11; Eph 2:8)?
By perseverance (Matt 10:22; Mk 13:13; Col 1:22-23)?
By his blood (Rom 5:9; Heb 9:22)?
By His righteousness (Rom 5:17; 2 Pet 1:1)?
By His cross (Eph 2:16; Col 2:14)?

Tan February 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Roman Catholics are doing the same things as the cartoon. In fact the Roman Catholics I have encountered don’t know the Bible that well nor their catechism. Studies even show this.

Derek July 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM

True Steve. And guys, one principle I never understood until entering the fuller expression of the Church/Truth/Faith, is that Exceptions prove the rules and unless we have rules of faith/doctrines/moral teachings at which we are created for and to seek after, then we really can’t have exceptions and or be the clear “body of Christ” to the world and not can we really condemn a heresy or heretic unless we have a visible/readable/audible unity. Blessings

Andrew July 28, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Tan, what does “know the Bible” mean to you?

lissa July 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Love hearing you on the radio. I will be reading your book.

Bill912 July 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I would like to see Tan give us some examples of his first sentence, and direct us to some of those “studies” in his last.

John July 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I returned to the Catholic Church after being in a non denominational church for 37 years just a year and a half ago. I now feel my faith is complete and my parish feels like home. So often in those 37 years I would read the Bible and come upon verses that did not fit protestant theology. I would ignore them but new there was more to it. I’m thrilled to be home.

kita August 1, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Thanks to people like you, us Catholics who may have been poorly cathecised are learning more about our faith and I believe the Catholic Chutch may be in the middle of a dip but is now beginning to rise. Thanks to you and to many like you for helping to confirm the faith and to give answrrs for the most common questions out there. Jesus began with a tiny group in trying times… today we have freedom and I dont know it seems so hard to talk about the faitb (me personally) Thank you !